cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL-504 and MSN Messenger

Community Veteran

Ok Ive been banging my head on this one for a few days now and getting nowhere really.
Time to throw it open to the experts out there on this forum. Tongue

Situation is this.
I have a Dlink DSL-504 router and Windows 98se which work fine for normal surfing etc but I have hit a brick wall trying to get it to enable audio communications over MSN Messenger :?:
No problem with sending text messages and email etc.

If I log on with my dial up modem then great it works but I am paying for the phone call so thats not much use.
If I log on with ADSL then as soon as I select vioce communication message I get warnings about Network Translation that may stop it working.

Ok so Ive tried altering the setup to enable DMZ and this gives me dire warnings that the machine I have elected (This one) is fully open to the net so in my mind that should work. But even with my firewall disabled it's still no go.
Next I contacted support at D-Link who suggest using port forwarding instead.

Now this where I hit the problem.
According to the MSN help files quote "ports 5004 - 65535 are needed for Audio or video messaging".
I assume that this means the range of ports and not just 2 ?
I can't find anything on the 504 under port redirection that will allow a block of ports to be forwarded, just one port and the instructions are less than clear anyway, talking about Internet port and Local port. I assume that these can both be the same number?

Has enyone managed to get audio messaging to work with the D-Link or am I wasting my time :?: Cry
11 REPLIES
N/A

To be honest with you I think you may be wasting your time. I am unfamiliar with your router so I can't tell you how you can specify a group of ports. My router (netgear DG814) lets me specify up to 10 groups of ports. If you find out a way of specifying a group and your PC is the only one on the router you could try specifying ports 1-65535 (that's all ports). That will of course leave your computer open to attack unless you get your own firewall (the same effect as the DMZ server setting. I have this machine as the DMZ on my router but I can't send files or anything with MSN. I cannot set port forwarding to send all ports to this machine because the other people on the router would complain. You could try using Netmeeting instead of MSN because that lets you specify various network settings. I can use netmeeting perfectly for voice/video/files provided I host a meeting and invite them in not the other way round (i also have problems if my meeting has more than one word but i think that's unrelated)
Community Veteran

The Netgear and the D-Link are very similar in many repects and I think you are bginning to confirm my suspicions that I am trying to do the impossible Cry

Had a Look at Netmeeting but it seems to be populated by some wierd people who are only interested in sex :shock:

Oh well prhaps there is somebody out there who knows whether or not it can be made to work Smiley
N/A

well you say you're running Win98 so you should have no problems setting up netmeeting (XP has netmeeting installed but for some reason it is hidden.. [type 'conf' in the run box]). If you already know who you want to use it with there is no need to use the directory service or anything. not sure quite what you mean by the people wanting sex... i've never met anyone using netmeeting, only used it with people i already know... :?
Community Veteran

It may be me thats not been using Netmeeting correctly. I have only tried it by going on to one of the directories and almost everone logged on there has a one track mind :roll:

It does also give me messages that it has been superceeded with MNS Messenger so perhaps why they have hidden it on MX
N/A

I thought those messages said that the directory service has been superceded. I'm not sure though. Whatever the case you just need to host a meeting on Netmeeting then put in your contact's IP address in the box at the top and connect. It's generally more reliable too Smiley
N/A

from what ive heard in other posts, its uPnP that you need but dont have, ( well your router doesnt have it) this enables msn to be able to open the port it needs securly and the router will know this. unless you can upgrade the firmware to supposrt uPnP you a bit "ahem" up the creak, so to speak.
sorry about that
yours
marc
Community Veteran

Thanks Marc

I now have uPnP on the router. Had to buy another one for my wifes works who are going broadband.
When I checked it out it is a totally diferent version to mine so I have now got the new one. Wink
Not had a good play with it yet to see if this now does the business but I will post the findings back here when I find out.
N/A

ok no probs, just got a d-link myself (500) and had to turn on uPnp too, Smiley
Community Veteran

Ok a bit of feedback on the problem.

Got the new uPnP enabled D-Ling 504 router and doenwloaded the trial version 6 of MSN.
Tried it with a pal whom I know I can talk with audio to using 56k dial up.
Don't get any warnings now about NAT that I used to with the old set up but things still not right.
It now says connecting to other computer and the immediately says conversation endedHuh
So tried sending file to each other. This now works one way i.e. I can send him file but when he tries to send to me it just tries and then times out. Damn this is getting very frustrating.

Still more things to try yet.
N/A

I'm still using my Netgear RT328 ISDN Router, hopefully ADSL arrives in August! I never had huge amounts of joy configuring MSN to work via my existing router, for much the reasons I suspect as you are currently encountering. That said, I never had problems receiving files, just could never send them. Makes me wonder if the isue with you not being able to receive files hasn't got more to do with settings at the remote end? It's probably not, but just thought it might be worth pointing out the 'bleeding obvious'?
Community Veteran

Makes me wonder if the isue with you not being able to receive files hasn't got more to do with settings at the remote end? It's probably not, but just thought it might be worth pointing out the '[censored] obvious'?

No I don't think so, as if I use a 56k dial up everything works. So that would suggest to me that the problem is down to the changes at my end when I use ADSL :x