Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK Service

dsmail
Grafter

DK Service

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and want to find out what "DK Service" is. I have it running on 98SE and haven't a clue what it is. It's only appeared recently on the menu brought up by ctrl alt del. I suspect it's a non desirable, but perhaps somebody would clarify this for me.

Thanks

dave
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

DK Service

Its not on mine.
Suggest you download and run adaware from lavasoft.
This should find and root out any spyware thats got into your machine.
Community Veteran

DK Service

Just another thought.
DK could be Dorling Kimberly the people who do software such as Infopedia and the school maths programs etc.
Have you any of their programs loaded?
Community Veteran

DK Service

What is the full path of the background app. As Win98 does not have a task manager like XP, download the following : TaskInfo 2003 which should show you a lot more info about what is running on your system (and a lot more background apps you were not aware of).

Once you know the full path of the app (highlight it in the main window then view the botton right window) you may be able to determin what it is.

dkservice.exe is a known program associated with diskkeeper defragmentation utility. Do you have that loaded? If not and your not sure what it is post the full path and we can look it up.

Have you scanned your system for viruses using an up to date definitions file?

If you want to find out what a background app is, just search the for the program name (not description) on this page: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
dsmail
Grafter

DK Service

Just after I posted, I realised it was Disk Keeper running in the background. Thanks for your replies.

Dave