cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIalling in via mobile phone & Ipaq

N/A

Struggling to connect via mobile phone and Ipaq through Bluetooth.

I'm dialling in on the number quoted by Plusnet for mobiles, but my Ipaq asks me to input "domain."

Anyone know what I need to enter here?

Or can anyone advise all settings for connecting via mobile phone/ipaq?

Or should I be doing this via GPRS?? Phone is Nokia 6600.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob
12 REPLIES
N/A

which Ipaq is it?? I'll have a read of the online manual n see if I can offer any assistance...

but I don't remember it asking for a domain when I used to have one, mind you... that was when Ipaq was Compaq Smiley
N/A

Hiya mate,

It's the 5500...............

Any advice much appreciated.
N/A

Sussed it!!!!!!!!!!

Just left the "domain" field blank and it worked!!

God it's slow tho.

Is there any way I can use the GPRS in my phone to access the internet on my IpaqHuhHuhHuh?
zpeterk
Grafter

You should us GPRS its much faster, if u r on orange there is no user name or password and the number is *99# If u r on monthly the service is available by default.

To send email though you will have to set up your account with your provider, or use web mail!
N/A

yea it is isn't it Smiley

gprs would be much quicker, just tell the ipaq to use gprs on the bluetooth phone, it should be able to pick up the gprs service available from the phone and initialise it whenever it is needed.

if you don't have the settings, nokia can send them to you via here
N/A

Many thanks guys. Afraid I'm not too clever with computers tho...........

My phone (Nokia 6600) already works OK with GPRS - I can surf the internet on my phone.

However, I can't get my Ipaq to point to the GPRS facility on the phone...........

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
FillDee
Grafter

GPRS Via 6600

The post by zpeterk is the way forward.

Use the dial up networking via the 6600 the same way as you have done but enter the phone number to dial as *99#. The username and password varies by provider, but "web" and "web" are a good start. This will instruct the 6600 to use GPRS. Nothing else is necessary.

The built in e-mail facility of the 6600 works perfectly for your plusnet account. The only thing to watch is that the mail relay (outgoing server address) must be your phone providers SMTP server. With Vodafone this is send.vodafone.net. Others will be available on thier websites. This will apply to using an e-mail client on the IPaq as well. This is for security / spam reasons.
Other than that, you have nothing else to do. Works perfectly.
N/A

i called orange on 156 the other day to do this and they talked me through the steps.
N/A

WOW! Cool Cheesy

The *99# thing seems to have worked a treat!!

Can get on with my stuff now.

Many thanks to all who responded - sorry didn't try the *99# earlier, but didn't even think it was worth trying cos I'm not on Orange!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Rob
N/A

Just to alert you. *99# is used to simulate dialup access, but use a GPRS connection.

Unlike dialup, GPRS connections are billed by the byte, rather than by the minute.

This is great for compact WAP content and e-mail, but not for heavy surfing (although the speed benefits are good).

Normal dialup access is charged by the minute, and when you use your connection hard (though slow). GPRS is handy if your using soemthing like waiting for an e-mail, or IM, as you are only billed when data is transfered.

As of last month, Vodafone charged £2.35/£7.50 per MB on contract, or, 0.73P per KB on PAYG.

It can get very expensive, very quickly.
FillDee
Grafter

acarr. Cost !!! Good point. For e-mail access through clients such as Outlook Express, this is minimised. Surfing web sites, that includes web based e-mail sites, can, as you say, run up huge bills. I believe that the costs will start to fall within the near future as the cell companies compete for business. Instant messenging is starting to take off (PTT for example), so GPRS prices should drop.

But, still, as you say, the price is something to watch.
N/A

I doubt GPRS prices will drop. Supply can't be met without cost incursion, which will be passed on.

GPRS was a gap filler, or as it is often called, 2.5G.

It is reliant on spare capacity within the cellular network. Capacity that just isn't available anymore, and certainly won't be without significant investment.

Such investment is unlikely, as companies slowly start to push and upgrade into 3G.