cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP settings

N/A

DHCP settings

I've got an ADSL modem (D Link DSL 300T) set up through a Belkin wireless router. I've got the DHCP running on both.

What I want to know is

1) What does DHCP do
2) Could having both running be causing the stop/start of my internet connection I keep seeing
3) Should I switch one off, and if so which one, the modem I presume.

Thanks
9 REPLIES
N/A

DHCP settings

Save me typing it all again see the thread http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35384

were I give a explantion of DHCP.

You should have 2 running as it may pick up the wrong one and also there is no point.

Its far better not to have dhcp but have a static ip. goto start/run type cmd press return then type ipconfig /all you will get a printout somthing like this
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

Open the network card properties and open the tcip setting and untick get the ip automaticlly and enter the details you just got in to the boxs. If it work you can turn off both dhcp's
Community Veteran

DHCP settings

You should have 2 running as it may pick up the wrong one and also there is no point.

Did you mean you should NOT have two running ?

On a small simple home network you should only have one DCHP server running, I would suggest on the router and use static addresses on the modem and router.

But make sure that the static IP address used by the router and modem are not in the range of addresses used by the DHCP server.

Personally I would use all static IP addresses.

Chilly
N/A

DHCP settings

Thanks

I have several computers attached to this network, one via an ethernet cable to the router and 3 others via the wireless network. If I make this change will I need to do the same on all the computers.

The only reason I'm looking at this is because I get pauses in my internet connection, it's not normally a problem but when using SKYPE it's a bit inconvienient. Do you think using the DHCP is causing this problem, or should I be looking at something else.
Community Veteran

DHCP settings

DHCP should not be causing the pauses to your internet connection.

I would suggest connecting one of the machines directly to the modem to eliminate as much as the network as possible.

It sound like your internet connection is dropping and the modem reconnects automatic after a few seconds. Check out some of the “Frequent Disconnection” threads on the forum.

Also take a look at the modem to see if there are any logs or status pages that may indicate that you are losing your connection.

Chilly
N/A

DHCP settings

Thanks, I had a look at the modem it didn't report any lost connections. I'll check out the other threads as suggested.

I'd like to find out if it's my set up or something else.
N/A

DHCP settings

fskilbeck,

These pauses, are they apparent on all the machines connected to the network when accessing the internet or just one. It wouldn't be DCHP, as this is normally assigned during boot up of a machine, before your likely to access the internet using e-mail / browser etc.

When does this pause happen? and is it just once? or when you've left the machine for a while? or not been surfing the net for a while.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

DHCP settings

It's most noticable when I'm using SKYPE, conversation can be going OK, then it drops out for a few seconds before coming back. It seems to do it at random.

After this I noticed that sometimes we get a pause when loading a web page or when downloading a file etc.

I was looking to go to one of the pay VOIP, e.g. Plustalk but with the quality I get it's not worthwhile. Using Skype on my laptop at other locations I don't get this problem, just through my home BB connection.

Note if I run a speed test it says my download speed is excellent, Plusnet Premier account 2MBs. Apart from this problem the service is generally very good.

Thanks
N/A

DHCP settings

VOIP can take a lot of bandwidth and if you have other pc's downloading and running on the network this could be the problem. When using voip you need to check the bandwidth used this may be possable on the router to see if you are using it all.
N/A

DHCP settings

Thanks, I'll give it a try but it seems same when I have one computer on or three.

My daughter who is sharing a plusnet connection with 4 others in her student digs only experiences problems when talking with us at home.