cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834: DNS & pings totally fail regularly

N/A

Hello.

I have a Netgear DG834 ADSL router connected to 2 XP Pro PCs.

Everything generally works as expected, but every day or so I notice the DNS fails for all lookups.
Once this occurs I can't ping the router or anything else.

Interestingly, my BitTorrent downloads are still progressing. Even if I quit my BitTorrent client, I still can't ping the router.

Cycle the power on the router and everything is back to normal.

What can I do to figure out the problem?

Thank you.
5 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

First of all, have you installed the latest firmware?
N/A

Thanks for the reply.

I've just checked the NetGear website, and have had the latest v1.04.01 firmware for some weeks now.
Community Veteran

What have you got the DNS server IP address set to on your PC. If it's the IP of your router then change it to use the DNS servers directly and see if that helps.

To find out, run ipconfig /all at a C:> prompt.

Use 212.159.6.9 & 212.159.6.10 for the DNS servers in windows.

Does BitTorrent open multiple connections. If so try reducing the number to a low value and see if the problem occurs. If not, increase the connections slowly until the problem occurs then reduce them down again.

Sometimes routers can't cope with lots of P2P connnections and lock up.
N/A

I originally had the Windows DNS dynamically assigned from the router. Recently I have changed them to these (as listed in My Account - Connection Settings):
Primary DNS Server 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Are the DNS servers you've listed better?

I've just noticed that my IP address in My Account - Connection Settings is listed as static, but my router is getting it's IP via DHCP. I will change my router to use the Static IP - should I also change the router to use fixed DNS servers?

Either way, I think the P2P connections is more likely the culprit as when the problem occurs I can't even ping anything via IP (which I assume doesn't use DNS). I'll look at the number of connections over the weekend.

Thanks.
Community Veteran

I originally had the Windows DNS dynamically assigned from the router. Recently I have changed them to these (as listed in My Account - Connection Settings):
Primary DNS Server 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Are the DNS servers you've listed better?

PN have 3 sets (6 altogether, 4 in london and 2 in Shefffield). Yours and mine are in London so will not make any difference. My two are not currently allocated automatically for ADSL so are not as busy.

I've just noticed that my IP address in My Account - Connection Settings is listed as static, but my router is getting it's IP via DHCP. I will change my router to use the Static IP - should I also change the router to use fixed DNS servers?

There is no need to change, you always get the same IP address allocated each time you connect - i.e. you always get the static IP address you see in connections details. Leaving it ISP assigned also means you will get the default DNS servers.

Either way, I think the P2P connections is more likely the culprit as when the problem occurs I can't even ping anything via IP (which I assume doesn't use DNS). I'll look at the number of connections over the weekend.

I think this has been a problem with others using the same router and reducing the total connections has helped/solved the lockups.