cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG814 to DG834

N/A

DG814 to DG834

Hi,

I currently have a DG814 and I'm considering buying a DG834 and selling my DG814.

Is this a worthwhile move? I just prefer the idea of having a proper firewall for my little network, than just a nat-based one.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

DG814 to DG834

NAT is still a good method of preventing incoming access to your local network as it basically blocks ANY connection attempts that you have not already allowed with port forwarding. It does not help with outgoing connections though, for this just install one of the many free software firewalls and you will have a pretty secure setup without the expense of buying a new router. The software forewall can be installed on any WIndows PC. For others like Linux, you can just enable the built-in firewall.

If you can't be bothered with all that change your router Wink but you will still need to configure it properly.

FYI I use a DG814 + software firewalls on all my PCs.
N/A

DG814 to DG834

I do have a good software firewall and virus checker, but I'm wondering if that's enough these days. In addition Nat Based routers don't provide any logs of anything that has been rejected.

A new DG834 will cost me £62 from Amazon and I've seen DG814's going on ebay for around £35 to £50.

I just like the idea of having my firewall away from my network, and thus not vunerable to viruses or flaws in software etc.

I'm just not sure what to do for the best.
N/A

DG814 to DG834

I have the DG834. It works out of the box with AIM/Yahoo, but you need to upgrade the firmware for it to work properly with msn messenger 6x
It's easy to setup new firewall rules and services as long as you have all the ports that the application uses. It's a great router. I use a software firewall in conjuction with the hardware firewall the router has to catch anything trying to access the net that i have no knowledge of. So thats an easy way to spot if you have a trojan for example. You can configure the router to send you emails detailing every port scan and Dos attempt. You just supply an email address to send it to. Best to have a new email addy for this as it sends quite a lot of info.
You can find adslguides review of the DG834 here:
http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
N/A

DG814 to DG834

I would not use the log email notification facility on the DG834. 1/ It'll only make you paranoid 2/ If the mail server at PlusNet is slow, the router will appear to hang while it is sending the log by mail.
N/A

DG814 to DG834

I just like seeing what IP addresses have been scanning my connection.
It will make your more paranoid. But as i've been using firewalls for the last 3 and a half years, i'm not so worried. If the router slows up i just turn off the email function. But that has happend rarely.
N/A

DG814 to DG834

Firmware 1.05 is now out for the DG834 router, which adds Attentuation and SNR figures as well as attempting to fix ADSL sync issues.
N/A

DG834's are nice

I had a DG814 and after burning 4 of them out, netgear automatically upgraded me to a DG834 and it seems, to work much better. There are much less problems with heat buildup, which was a major factor in my DG814's dying. The firewall can be a little tricky to configure if u want to play a lot of games, however if you search out the correct ports etc you shouldn't have a problem.
N/A

DG814 to DG834

Just for the record I've brought a DG834, the firewall wasn't much of a problem as I've got the same rules setup on my software firewall as well.

I've never heard of a DG814 burning out, I used to leave mine on all the time, but then they do get pretty hot.

I'm pretty happy with my new router, except when you use bit torrent or any P2P software, everything slows down. I was aware of this issue before buying but I'm sort of hoping a later firmware upgrade might help to easy the problem.
zpeterk
Grafter

DG814 to DG834

You know that that the 814 and the 834 all work but like buz says on another thread linksys or if your really serious Cisco, but also the NG fr114p & fvs328 have faster processors and you will see a difference - its all down to budget
N/A

DG814 to DG834

zpeterk,

I looked into lots of different routers and gateways before deciding on the DG834. I have a small home network, I have no need of anything more powerful or faster. A Cisco would be way out of the range of the amount of money I wanted to spend and complete overkill. Linksys are good, but again there was the money aspect as all their gateways are wireless, so in addition to the cost of the router I'd have to buy wireless lan cards for all my pc's and a wireless access point for my PS2.

Aaron
zpeterk
Grafter

DG814 to DG834

I think you will find linksys are not out of the budget at all seehere
zpeterk
Grafter

DG814 to DG834

Also, two weeks ago I changed over from a fr114p to a fvs318,when I returned from work in the evening my partner said "what have you done - the internet is different"
N/A

DG814 to DG834

But with the linksys I'd still have had to buy an ethernet ADSL modem, so why have two bits of kit when you can have the one.

The cheapest all in one kit from Linksys was wireless based, and I don't need a wireless connection and it would have cost a lot more to buy new network cards.