cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFI flash bios gone wrong, help

N/A

I have the DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-D and have just flashed the bios, I now get the message reinstall file root\system32\hal.dll. Anyone know what as happened and what to do next, please. Used the floppy disk method.
5 REPLIES
N/A

If you can't boot into windows try this -
Boot from your Windows XP CD.
Choose the Repair option, "R"
Chose the location of your drive normally this will be 1
Enter bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
Restart the computer.

That should do it.
N/A

Thanks Chriss, just realised that the reason I can't boot from CD is I have a wireless keyboard, Doe
N/A

Ohhh - do you not have an old ps2 one or a mate who has one?
N/A

I forgot that I use a wireless keyboard and when it said press F1, i was stuck so had to hard reset instead. I bought a wired keyboard and have run the recovery consol and I can now boot my system. However, when the system boots up I now get the option to boot up using 2 xp systems! The first one in the list there is no writing for, which is the 1 that works, the second 1 it must have found on another disk, Doe. Thanks for the reply and help Chriss.
N/A

By the sounds of that your Boot.ini has added an extra line - you can edit it doing this -

Click Start / Run, type sysdm.cpl OK.
Click the Advanced tab
In Startup and Recovery click settings then click edit

The Boot.ini will open in notepad -

Does it show like this?
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If it does you can delete the line that is not relevant to look like this -
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect