cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DACS - How can I get it removed?

N/A

Hi,

When I was living with my mum, I had a seperate telephone line installed which was done using a big grey box I understand to be a DACS. (Splits the cable signal I think).

Anyway, as a consequence, she can only get speeds of 28k max on her 56k modem which is obviosuly mega annoying.

She has contacted BT who refuse to remove it as they don't gaurantee lines for internet use, as long as it ok for voice then they are happy.

Well mum isn't.

Does anyone know of a legit way of getting it removed properly, before my mum accidentally breaks it with her hoovering!

Regards
Steve Watkins
http://www.alienexistence.com
UK UFO Petition - Uncovering the mystery of UFO visitation to planet Earth!
5 REPLIES
N/A

Two methods, but both expensive if it's somthing you don't want.

Try ordering DSL on the line, better chosing a one month package, unless you wish to continue using DSL, in which case, chose what you wish.

Otherwise, ordering a new line to be installed, noting to BT that you want this one for the purpose of DSL. You don't have to order DSL on the line, however, once done, you have the previous line removed.

BT are correct in saying they only commision a line for voice, and not for any data or DOA services.

As for damaging the box. Pointless, they would only install a new one, and charge you for the pleasure.
Community Veteran

As for damaging the box. Pointless, they would only install a new one, and charge you for the pleasure.

Not only that but it would also render the phone line inoperable while you are awaiting for them to come and fix it.

Chris
N/A

Is DSL broadband? If it is any deviation from the bog standard line, then we probably can't get it as Brecon doesn't yet have broadband. (I think some businesses do though)

I think it's a cheek that they come along, install a box bigger than the average toaster on my mum's wall to then pay rental. Perhaps my mum should try and charge them for rental to site their humungous box on her wall.

Anyway, breaking it with the hoover was a little joke and she wouldn't do that, I will tell her what you've suggested and thanks again

Regards
Steve Watkins
Community Veteran

Yes DSL and Broadband are the same thing.

DACS shouldn't be considered as something that is 'evil', the only reason BT use it is to keep costs down in areas where copper cables are scarce, otherwise they would have to dig up roads when they want to put new lines in areas and pass the cost over to the end users or refuse to install new lines.

Chris
N/A

BT would likely laugh at the sugestion of charging them rent. It's hard enough trying to get rental for a telegraph pole transfered.

In the BT contract, you are paying rental on the service of the line, and the line termination equipment.

DACS is just one such part of line termination equipment.

The contract states that BT have your permission for it to be there, and only termination of that contract can have it removed lawfully.