cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating still images from wmv file

grahambritten
Grafter

I am trying to create stills from a wmv file without any sucess. This is what I've tried so far:-

ATI Media Player - this has a Still Capture button, whilst video is playing I can click on this button, screen flashes and appears to capture. But, no graphic files are produced at all. I have tried all the options/settings for Still Capture with no effect, still get no files.

Windows Media Player 8 - no obvious way of capturing the screen. Paused video, then used Paint Shop Pro 7 Screen Capture. Appears to work fine, actually have a capture of the paused image. Acts a bit strange when trying to crop it but can save it out as a jpg. All I'm left with then as my saved image is a file with a black background, the Count Colours Used gives me the unique number of 1! The captured image disappears.

Anyone got ideas why I can't capture from this video? Or can anyone suggest another way of doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Graham
3 REPLIES
N/A

Every heard of the technique blue screening? The process of taking a specific colour, and overlaying it with another image?

The same process is used in many of the copy protected formats available these days.

In PSP, what happens if you move the image around the screen? Also, is the "weird" cropping you talk of, the image resizes, but the image that is inset, changes size with it?

The only way to do this, is to convert the media format to somthing that can be captured. Which in many cases, is illegal.
Community Veteran

I suggest you convert the wmv files to avi then use one of the many free/shareware video editors around.

There are loads of free video converters and virtualdub (along with many others) will allow you to capture the frames you want. Just search on google or look at a good list here.
grahambritten
Grafter

Philip - What you describe regarding moving the graphic around and resizing in PSP is exactly what I'm seeing. The wmv file was of a training seminar and was created by a work colleague.

Peter - Thanks for the suggestion regarding the conversion to an avi.

I have now solved my problem, simple really once you both pointed me in the right direction. I used Windows Movie Maker to create the avi file, then I captured jpg's with ATI Media Player and edited them in PSP.

Pictures now going on our intranet tomorrow!!

Once again many thanks.

Graham