cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new user account

RobDickson
Grafter

I haven't been here for a while, but wondered whether anybody could give me a bit of advice.

I've always run WinXP with a single user, with full administrative rights. I know that it's better to normally use an account with no administrative rights, so am going to create another account to use. The problem is, I don't want to lose all the settings, My Documents folder, Outlook e-mails etc. that are associated with my current username. I realise that I won't actually lose the files in the My Documents folder, but access to them would change if I log in as another user.

What I therefore intend to do is to create a new account with full administrative rights, and then remove the administrative rights to my current user account, and then continue to use that account.

Does this make sense? Apart from having to change my Scheduled Tasks, is this likely to cause any problems?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sounds ok to me.
holdtight
Grafter

Yep ive done exactly that on other machines without any problems that spring to mind

Should be absolutely fine !

Bill.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.

I'm sure it's considered good practice to use a user account without admin rights when surfing the 'net, I've just put off doing anything about it until I thought about this alternative way of doing it.
N/A

You could have created a new account and copied the profile which would have worked as well. it depends what software you are using but you may find some wont work without admin rights.

In this case find the file that wont run and right click and choose runas to run it as a admin in a none admin account. Doing this means only that software is running as admin
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks again for your help.

I asked about this on another forum, and was told that as long as I had a firewall, a virus checker, and spyware checkers, that using a profile with admin rights isn't a problem.

What do you guys think?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

I also run with full admin rights behind a router firewall and a full internet security package but I don't go to any dodgy sites and I always use Firefox.
However - and this is important - I also run frequent backups of my C: partition using Acronis so if anything really nasty gets through (it hasn't yet) I can go back to the non infected setup.
As far as Spyware goes I run Lavasoft SE, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Superantispyware on a on demand basis but they don't find anything. Mostly I assume because I have my cookie settings in Firefox to ask every time.
Community Veteran

@ robdickson

I always advise friends and family to do as I do, and run an account with reduced privileges for general net activity.

As mwright says, for the odd occasion that something needs admin rights to run, then right click and run as admin - no biggy.

Jim's setup is a good one though in many ways. (You need to be consistent and thorough with your back-up regime so as not to get caught out though)!
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.

At the moment, I backup all my "essential" files daily to a remote server using Mozy, but do need to consider backing up everything to a local hard drive daily as well.

From what I can see, the backup facility included with WinXP seems to do a good job.
N/A

If you use Acronis you create an image of the hard drive so if something goes wrong you can redo the system back as it was in 10 mins. Acronis now also does backup of user data as well so it will backup emails my docs etc. Really you cant beat Acronis. Once you have an image you can do a incremental backup but unless you make major changes to the o/s once a month should be fine if you are backing up you data daily.

Ideally with Acronis you do a reinstall get the pc working as you want it and then do an image and keep that image as then you can get back to a clean pc when windows starts to slow.