cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cpu speed etc?

N/A

Cpu speed etc?

Hi,

Ive just built my new system, but im having afew problems with the cpu. the cpu i have is a 3200+ barton and the memory i got is 512k pc3200 ddr, well what the problem is, on the boot screen its showing just over 1ghz and i think the memory is only clocking at 266mhz? i think there are some jumpers on the board to change the FSB as this board takes upto 400FSB but dunno if thats what i need to change? Help Appreciated
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Cpu speed etc?

1. read the mobo manual

2. read the mobo manual again

Wink

Most BIOS allow you to change the CPU FSB and memory timing. They often default to the standard FSB of 100MHz and Memory speed (which can sometimes be a separate setting) of 133Mhz (= 266 for DDR memory). So read the manual and set them to the correct speeds and you should be fine.
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

Yeah it is on 100 the cpu i did notice that, will have alook now.
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

Note:: The cpu FSB frequency of this motherboard is determined by jumper settings, you must adjust "FSB select jumpers" according to the FSB of your AMD cpu. Thats exactly what it says in the manual and thats about it to do with CPU's, trouble is i aint a clue of the FSB of my CPU.
Community Veteran

Cpu speed etc?

The Barton XP3200+ has a 400MHz FSB.
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

I'm gonna try changing the CPU frequency in the bios to 200mhz as its only on 100 now and see if that works the cpu and memory speeds out, Huh
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

Changed the CPU FSB on the motherboard to 400mhz and then it showed 3200+ on the boot screen which was then correct, but then i had a blue screen failure when booting up to windows, also i changed the DDR frequency to 200mhz which then put the ram to DDR400 which i think is correct for my pc3200 memory? but still got these blue screens so ive put the FSB frequency on the motherboard back to 200mhz which it was on in the first place and put back the DDR frequency and its working again now...Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

When I boot my computer, it shows the RAM as having a clock speed of 200mhz (even though it's the same as yours - DDR400, PC3200 and my motherboard has a fsb of 400mhz aswell). I believe it's something to do with DDR ram (Double Data Rate). So when you set it to 200mhz, it's effectively working as it should (at 400mhz). So by setting it to higher than 200mhz you would have been overclocking quite significantly, which would obviously result in the system instability.

I hope that helps a little - I could be completely off with this explanation though, as it confused me when I first saw it too! Smiley
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

It would help to know the make and model of MB. Some boards like gigabyte give you a util which lets you change the fbs etc within windows so you can see the results without having to reboot all the time.

Ideal you want a hardware monitor to keep an eye on the cpu temp as if you get it wrong it can get very hot very fast. There are free monitors if you MB doesnt supply one on the disk.
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

N/A

Cpu speed etc?

Guys i still dont have this problem sorted i dont think i was overclocking as it showed the memory in the bios as pc2100 but when i put the FSB to 400mhz on the board it showed that as 3200+ like it should, but then i got the blue screen when the pc booted and the memory then showed as pc2700 but i had the choice to change the memory to 200mhz which is ddr400, pc3200 the correct for my memory, but i still got the blue screen, so im back to 1.1ghz now and the memory running at pc2100 as its the only way i can get it too work, 'Motherboard is ASRock K7VT6 is .. Please HELP Cry

P.s read this on forum if it helps... Barton 3200+ 2200 (200x11.0)
Memory Frequency
First look at the ram speed chart below for the actual MHz DDR ram runs at (e.g. PC2100 [DDR266] runs at 133MHz)

It's usually best to run the ram in Sync (100%) of the CPU External Freq. (FSB) for best stability and performance. If you want to do this you will need ram that can run at the FSB setting, for example if you set the FSB to 200MHz with memory frequency set to 100% you would want PC3200 [DDR400] ram (or better) since the ram would also be running at 200MHz.

My ram is pc3200 by the way....
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

just looked at the manual.

make sure on the motherboard that the jumpers are set

FSB_SEL0 = open (that is no pins)
FSB_SEL1 = 1-2 (that a jumper is on the left 2 pins)
FSB_SEL2 = 2-3 (that a jumper is on the right 2 pins)

From what I can gather, leave FID0-4 open.

In the bios, under the Advanced BIOS Setup Menu

set CPU Host Frequency to AUTO, with the jumper settings, it should come up with 200MHz. Same with DRAM Frequency.

Give that a try if you haven't already, if still giving problems, try this

In the bios under the Advanced BIOS Setup Menu, set Flexibility Option to ENABLE, and under the sub menu Chipset Configuration, set DRAM CAS# Latency to 3.

Hope that solves it, because if it doesn't, well... I'm not sure what else to suggest.
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

Thanks it does say what you have just wrote about the jumpers in the book but i will go give it another try to what you said put them as, ive added you to MSN so i will be on there in 10min after i have tried if u want to chat then...Thanks will go and try everything you have said....Hope it works Sad
N/A

Cpu speed etc?

Question..... Do the 3200+ Barton CPU's need pc3200 memory to run? im thinking this as my 3200 memory i got from the computer fair has turned out to be pc2700 and everytime i try and put the cpu on 3200+ the memory gived me all sorts of errors and blue screens, but when i run it as a 2500+ i get no blue screens and everything is fine. I would just like to know if 3200+ Bartons need atleast a pc3200 memory speed to run, as my memory says pc3200 on it but i think ive been ripped as the bios keeps picking it up as pc2700. Thanks!!!
Community Veteran

Cpu speed etc?

Where did you get the processor from - same place as the memory perhaps, and are you sure it's a barton XP3200+?

The barton XP3200+ does require PC3200 (400MHz) Memory but some mobo's will allow you to use slower memory.

Set everything to the point where it will boot OK, then download and run CPU-Z. This will tell you what processor you actually have and the type and speed of your memory. If it does not say you have a Barton XP3200+ or your memory is not PC3200 then you have not been sold the correct parts.

Also to test your memory is working correctly, download memtest86+ (use the Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win) version) which will tell you your ram and FSB speeds, or memtest86 (use the Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.1a installable from Windows and DOS version). With either you then create a bootable floppy to run the memtest.