cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could a monitor have done this much damage ??

N/A

A friend of mine wanted to enjoy his last night at university playing counter-strike while he still could so he switched his 17 inch monitor for my iiyama 19 inch vision master. I'm told this caused no problems aand as it is plug and play I can't see why it would. However when he took the 19 inch back out and replaced it with his usual 17 inch monitor he started getting error messages about his adapter driver being incorrect and then his computer would crash. He tells me that his computer kept crashing every few minutes when it was on and he had no idea how to fix the problem. Neithe rmonitor has any drivers with it. Windows Xp which is used on both our machines simply auto detects it. So I can't understand why his adapter driver would have altered in anyway at all. Its getting worse though as last night his computer failed to react to being turned on at all and then when it did his BIOS wouldn't run on screen as it booted. When it did start to work he says that the computer was able to boot up when no monitor was connected to the main unit but as soon as he put it in it would lock up and crash.

Does anybody have any suggestions to ease my friends woes ? I have no idea how my monitor which worked so well for me could have caused him these kind of problems and as such I have no help for him. I was hoping you guys might be able to give him some tips.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Try booting to the recovery mode (XP Disk needed).

Once in here, via hardware properties, remove the monitor and the display adapter.

Restart the system normaly, and it should reload the drivers based on default settings.

The problem sounds like XP has decided to keep some of the settings based around the newer monitor.

When it tries to use them, the GFX cards is crashing the system.
Community Veteran

Ok what happens if you put your 19" monitor back on the machine in question?
N/A

he won't be able to put the monitor back on the system cos its 2 hours drive away at my university flat Smiley

he has only the 17 inch (his old one) and the pc that won't boot/load.
Community Veteran

Pity you can't try the 19" one again as it would prove the problem one way or the other.
If it had worked with it back on then you know it's the system that has been corrupted into only responding to the 19" monitor.

But if it won't even boot into the bios Im doubtfull as at that stage no drivers are loaded and I have a suspicion that the PC has developed a fault not connected with your monitor.
N/A

thats what I thought especially when my mate said he fiddled with something then reset it and it wouldn't run the full boot cycle.

Smiley

Thanx for the advice Smiley