cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I use this wireless router with my connection?

Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Could I use this wireless router with my +net connection? It says for cable but also for DSL. I'm assuming that DSL & ADSL are similar?

PC upstairs, router upstairs in another room (with main phone socket) and laptop downstairs.

Dave

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/78215/rb/26451740961

Linksys WKPC54G Cable/DSL 54Mbps Wireless-G Network Kit
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No you can't. DSL is not the same as ADSL.

It states in the description:
Ethernet ADSL or Cable Modem Internet connection

It is designed to replace a cable modem and does not have an ADSL modem internally to connect to your phone socket. It is designed to connect via Ethernet to an ADSL modem which in turn connects to your phone socket.

You need a router with an in-built ADSL modem like the Netgear DG834G.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Thanks Peter. Did you mention that particular one because you think it's one of the best, or just as an example?

I guess I should ask if this is also what I should be buying. Will it work with the router you mentioned?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/45602/rb/26452685017

Dave
Community Veteran

The netgear is one of the best home based routers around with a lot of recommendations both here and in the IT press. It also has a very good wireless signal compared to many others - i.e. it will go through more walls tan most.

Almost all 54G based PCI wireless cards will work with the netgear or any other 54Mbs based wireless routers for that matter.
N/A

For the sake of completeness- if you had an actual ethernet (not USB) modem floating around you could connect that to your router. This would require you to configure them both to talk to each other, but is certainly workable.

If you're going to have to buy any kit though, a combined device is definetely the way to go, and I can recommend Netgear as a brand.

Working on the basis that most laptops are wireless enabled now, this is highly recommended as a tried and tested solution. If you do require an adaptor and don't mind using USB then this bundle might be best.