cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordless Mouse/Keyboard disconnects ADSL

N/A

Bought a cordless Mouse/Keyboard combo yesterday, 8th Aug, (Logitech Cordless Desktop Express). Great. Easy to install. No trailing or snagging cables on the desk. Mouse easy to handle. Cheesy

And then ... :shock: ... we logged on for E-Mail and Internet, and every 5-10 minutes the ADSL data transmission would stop, or it would disconnect altogether. Family went rapidly demented when internet gaming or shopping, and guess who got the blame!

I checked PlusNet ADSL status and they reported no problems at that time, (only much later, when their lines went down, and I'd already decided that my bed was a better place to be). I also checked the Logitech website, but it offered no solutions.

Then a process of elimination to move the receiver/mouse/keyboard as far away from the phone line as poss; to replace the cordless mouse with the original one; to replace the keyboard; and then to remove the receiver in case it was causing interference. No change. :?

Finally uninstalled the Logitech software and - hey presto - end of problem.

So we're back with the old keyboard and mouse, and the new ones are returning to PC World, unless anybody has any bright ideas about where I went wrong. :idea:
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Are you connected to ADSL by a usb modem ?

I take it that your new wireless keyboard/mouse is connected to the PC via a usb port.

You may be experiencing a common issue whereby the mainboard of the PC is not able to supply enough power to the USB bus to keep the modem alive.

The addition of another usb device may have increased the demand for power on the USB bus which your PC cant deal with.

Hope this helps

Mark
N/A

Thanks for the useful pointers.

Power might be a problem, as I noticed another PlusNet post reporting power-related difficulties with a Logitech webcam.

The ADSL modem is built-in, and the keyboard / mouse connectors are small round ones with several pins, (how's that for technical jargon!), so I assume they are not USB either.
N/A

Ok,

The modem is a pci device then and the wireless keyboard / mouse connects thru the original PS/2 ports it seems.

Bang goes my theory.

If Logitech have an online support section it may be worth raising it there.

There is clearly some compatibility issue somewhere.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Thanks Mark,

I'm beginning to think there's a software conflict somewhere, as the problem was only finally solved by uninstalling Logitech. I suppose I could have uninstalled the original keyboard and mouse to avoid this, but I've never had to do that with any other new hardware, and my PC detected the new keyboard and mouse with no problem.

Logitech, bless their cotton socks, have a support page that invites customers to "Contact Us" and then whizzes them straight back to the FAQs. I'll have to break this never-ending cycle by giving them a ring instead.
Alecto
Grafter

My logitech cordless keyboard and mouse work as a basic keyboard and mouse without the logitech software - though if you want to use all the programmable keys it may limit you.
Have you tried it without installing the software?
N/A

Thanks for that.

Yes, we started using it unintentionally without software, before we remembered installing the disk, so your idea would certainly work. We don't necessarily need the extra buttons.

If Logitech can come up with a solution I'll post it here.
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, the original software that came with mine used to cause things to go wrong from time to time (programs freezing up, the search or email keys to stop working etc), so I downloaded the updated version from their website - all 7 megabytes of it if I remember - and it just caused different things to go wrong, so I just cleared it all out and use it without now.

Thekeyboard and mouse work as normal, plus the email, search and home keys still work, but without any of the problems caused by their bloated software.