cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying to CD's

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Copying to CD's

Dabbled in this about a year or so ago until my CD RW drive died. Just installed a new CD RW and want to back up 'My Documents' but can't get anything to copy to a CD. Formatted the CD's on my PC at work (Using Me and can't work out how to format) and tried drag and drop but get a message that I can't copy the folder. Tried Nero Burner, gone through the process, get OK message, but nothing on the CD. :?

Got no software with the Drive (Don't know if this is usual).

The Drive does read CD ROM's OK and will run files from them.

Any ideas?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Copying to CD's

What do you mean by formatted the CD's at work? are these RW cd's or R only CD's
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Copying to CD's

They are CD-R's only. Is it worth trying some CD-RW's?

I put them in the new drive and got an error message that they were not formatted and did I want to format now. Clicked OK and got a message that I could not format :? Tried on my CD Drive on my work PC and formatted OK (Following the same routine). Put the CD's in the drive at home and still could not copy to them.

Looked for a format option in Nero Burner but could not find one.
holdtight
Grafter

Copying to CD's

What operating system are you using ?
and which burning software and version number are you trying to use with it ?
N/A

Copying to CD's

CD-R's don't need formatting they should just burn. Is there anything on the disc? Does it say "wrong format" If so there may be a corrupt burn already on it from a previous attempt.

In Nero if you go to the full application not startsmart and click on the recorder section at the top left of the screen, you will see an option to erase a rewritable disc in the list but this only applies to CD-RW.

It may also be that for some reason your CD burner is recognising the CD-R's as CD-RW's for some reason. Try another brand of disc.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Copying to CD's

I am using Me Operating system and Nero Burner (sorry don't know what level as I am not at the PC at the moment).

I have tried two brands of CD R's. When I tried them in drives in two different PC both gave a message that they required formatting.

I will try out the suggestions tonight,

Thanks for the tips.
holdtight
Grafter

Copying to CD's

I had a very similar problem when using Roxio`s burner, this was quite
some time ago and if i remember it was quickly solved with an updated
patch downloaded from their site

have a look to see what version of nero you are using (open nero go to help on
the toolbar then click on "about nero")
write down the version number then go to Ahead Nero updates and search for and install any updates and patches that are relevent to your op system and nero version, you will find the link for earlier versions (if you need it) in the list to the left

i hope this will cure your problem ! if not come back and we`ll try something else
N/A

Copying to CD's

rourkefamily

Are you sure they are CD'R's then, I've never known them to need formating since you can only ever write to them once. Once they've been written to, that it's it, nothing more can be added.

It's only CD-RW that can be formated, which just wipes them.

It's worth bearing in mind, that some versions of nero only work the original drive they came with (where nero is bundled with the drive).
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Copying to CD's

Certain they are CR-R's.

Trying a CD-RW tonight and no different. Just downloaded a new version of Nero Burner and no success.

Back to basics and silly question time.

1. Is there some kind of write protect on the Drive and if so can it be turned off (Error message I get is access denied!)
2. Is the drive working correctly for writing to? Can it be checked?
N/A

Copying to CD's

Sounds strange. Have you tried burning anything else to them except the My Documents folder? Sometimes you cannot drag and drop the folder too well. You have to copy the contents and not the actual My Documents folder itself.

Drives don't really have a lock on them. I'd suggest trying it in another PC to eliminate a possibilty of a software or driver error/conflict on your system. If it works it's something on your PC if not it's the drive. Or if it's new and from a shop might be easier to get them to test it.
pcorker
Grafter

Copying to CD's

I think that CD-R do need formatting - but it only takes a few secs. (Then continues during recording) Probably most software does it automatically. Different software probably uses a different initial formatting proceedure. (Nero/Roxio/DLA)

Perhaps you need to turn off the built in Windows recording software (right click drive to get properties in My Computer and clear "Enable CD recording....") and just use the Nero software.
N/A

Copying to CD's

I think that CD-R do need formatting - but it only takes a few secs.

All CD-writing software, writes out a lead in and lead out track, but I've not heard of formating in respects to CD's, except CD-RW. I cannot say 100% that it doesn't happen, but CD-R's can only be written to once. In my mind to format them would mean they've been written to.

Perhaps you need to turn off the built in Windows recording software (right click drive to get properties in My Computer and clear "Enable CD recording....") and just use the Nero software.

I think this might be a non-starter. I've used both nero, record now, and windows built in software without any hassles. Normally if you have a conflict or issue with the drive, then no software will actually be able to write to it, including windows. However as I mentioned before, nero can be configured only to work with one drive, the drive it was bundled with. It will install on any PC, but when you run it, it won't find any CD drivers to burn to.
Community Veteran

Copying to CD's

I can state catagoricaly that you should not format a CD-R disk. They are intended as a write once disk and if you format it you will never be able to write to it as the very act of formating is writing to it.

The only disc that you should format at CR-RW which are intended to be writen to often and can be erased.

Even then you should only need to format them if you intend to use something like "IN CD" or "Direct CD" where you will be using them as a very large floppy that you can drag and drop files to and also erase them.

You can also use a CD-RW without formatting if you simply want to just write to it as you would a CD-R disk. i.e. just once. You can still erase it after and re use it.
Community Veteran

Copying to CD's

While on the subject of writing CD's you will often find that with Windows XP it has a built in software that tries to take over from programs such as Roxio or Nero and this can cause problems when trying to burn CD's.

To stop XP doing its own thing you can disable the built in one as follows.

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Services
IMAPI CD-Burning service
Startup type
Disable

Reboot and its gone

Happy burning. Smiley
pcorker
Grafter

Copying to CD's

I think we may be splitting hairs over the formatting bit!

My Roxio Drag to Disk program ("like a big floppy"style) requires the CDR to be "initialised" which it describes as "formatting"!
Once I start recording, the info will be laid down in Roxio's custom format only readable by other Roxio capable software.

I believe the OP was (perhaps) trying to write to a CDR using Nero IN CD in the "like a big floppy "style

I'm not trying to make any point just trying to clear possible confusion. I agree that you don't and can't do a full format of the whole CDR prior to using it.

My history (in case its any use!) is:

Use Adaptec Direct CD (Bundled) early version
Won't work with XP
Switch to DLA (free from drive Manufacturer) early version
Won't work with SP2
New drive (Nero bundled)
Switch to IN CD
Dont like IN CD (forget why!)
Buy (ouch! but old version for £10!) Roxio Easy CD 6 Basic (upgradable) with drag-to-disk
Happily backup anything to CDR or CDRW (Usually using free BASK backup software - spans CDs!)

Now Smiley Pat