Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying DVDs

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Copying DVDs

I am a complete novice when it comes to DVDs - they just do not normally interest me, and I am not into television.

However, I have just been lent a fascinating wild life documentary (shrink-wrapped) which I would like to copy - it is not available in the shops. But I do not know how to do that. Can anyone advise ?

I do not have a DVD player EXCEPT on my desktop PC and another on my laptop, which is where I played the DVD. So I cannot use a stand-alone DVD player / recorder to do the job, but just want to use either one or both of my computers to make the ciopy onto a blank DVD. I doubt if it as straightforeward as copying CDs which I do regularly.

If you can help, thanks.
7 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

Copying DVDs

There are the copyright issues, associated with copying DVD and CD etc. However if you have a look here http://www.doom9.org/ I am sure it will explain in some detail, you might have to download some software also. Might be wise to look over the disclaimer too.
Community Veteran

Copying DVDs

I recommend DVD Decrypter, Further details and links are on doom9.

I use it for copying home DVD's and it will also rip and burn DVD sized "iso".

Chilly
N/A

Copying DVDs

It depends how big the dvd is a lot of films are 8 gig and you cant copy a 8 gig dvd to a 4 gig dvd as it wont go. So you have to shrink it to 4 gig before it will fit you can get dvd shrink which is free software from

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

If the dvd is only 4 gig then it should just copy from dvd to dvd like you would do if you were coping a cd
N/A

Copying DVDs

I think the comment
If the dvd is only 4 gig then it should just copy from dvd to dvd like you would do if you were coping a cd
from mwright should be clarified. You cannot copy a dvd like a cd even if it fits if it is copy protected, as most commercial, if not all, are. The rippers which are available often, but not always, strip out the protection amd leave the files on your hard drive to burn.
Usually you have to rip the dvd stripping protection and shrinking to 4G unless you have a dual layer burner with dual layer writeable disks. You can skip the shrink bit if you do have the latter. Then you can burn it with appropriate burned software.
Slick
Grafter

Copying DVDs

due to forum rules i cant post here thev programs but
i load 2 programs and then in 1 click copy.
i then get a choice of on the fly or to folder then burn.
the second program will ask the disk size your coping to,
enter that (normally 4.8gig)
sit back and 15 mins later a perfect copy no matter what
protection rights are used.
pm me if you need the programs
N/A

Copying DVDs

I was assuming he was coping a dvd which he had rights to and not copying anything illegal which could be protected and would need other steps than a disk to disk copy.
N/A

Copying DVDs

SlySoft comes to mind Wink