cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

~Cooling~

N/A

~Cooling~

what is the best (for about 30 odd quid) cooling system/fan set/something to cool my pc down., the cpu is only running at 34 degrees, which is a decent temp( and thats playing UT3 ) its just the whole pc starts to warm up the room ( ive noticed a 10 degree increase) which is a little worrying. (btw everything inside is fine and working, no weird smells etc) case gets a little warm though,

also on an un-related matter, my other pc (which doesnt have the above problem) has long blue cold cathode lighst inset intot he case, now whenever i turn these on and have a window open i cant get moths/flys etc away from them, any repelants you guys could suggest.:?:

cheers

marc
10 REPLIES
N/A

~Cooling~

The reason it's warming the room is because the hot air from inside the PC is being expelled outside. That means the fans are doing their job Smiley

You might want to look into regular fans, to push this hot air out of the room Smiley
N/A

~Cooling~

ok nice one, should have thought of that myself Shockedops: it makes perfect sense Cheesy
cheers

marc
N/A

~Cooling~

A 10 degree increase in room temperature is major. Are you sue this is cause by your PC?

Does turning it off for a day reduce it again?

While it may sound a silly sugestion, if making a test ti see if it is the PC (by turning it off for a day), sit infront of the PC with a book, and remain there, as if you are normaly on the PC. Body temperature can lead to a increase too.

If you havn't allready, mke sure you have at least one fan pulling air out of the case.

34C is very low for a CPU temperature. Where are you obtaining this from?

A non-hibernating system, should run between 36 and 50. A system having just undergone stress (gaming), will run between 41 - 60. So 34C seems out of place having been playing games.
N/A

~Cooling~

i have run various (although i am skeptical about them) programs (one from cpu manufacturer one from mobo manufacturer and a couple from Cnet) to obtain exactly the same results, also checked in bios and i have a digital thermo on the pc.
yes the increase results were acumulated over in which i saw a max rise of 14c and a min rise of 4 ( taking weather into account etc) ive tried being inn the room and being out of it.
max temp of cpu has been 57c min has been 28c
cpu is an amd 2700 think its got a zalman fsh on it (not sure though)
cant remember the mobo but i know i have 2 gig of RAM and a 168gb hdd
erm... asus soundcard (costa fortune but i dno which 1) also a creative gfx card.
marc
N/A

~Cooling~

Related story, might make u Cheesy ...

I once worked in a machine room with over 200KW of air conditioning to keep the equipment cool. Nice place in the summer but noisy with 100's of fans in all the equipment. One morning we came in and it was like walking into an oven - air con. broke.

The security guys went nuts when we opened all the windows. They'd been secured shut with pozidrive screws.... on the OUTSIDE.

Have u tried masking tape over your blue light?
Cheesy
N/A

~Cooling~

Re the blue cathode problem with the moths. I think you are stuck with it, if you notice in take away and burger bar kitchens the insect zapper always has a blue neon to attract them. Maybe a couple of fly papers by the window would help, I know they look grotty but apart from that, changing the colour of your tube is all I can suggest.

It could be worse if it gets any sunnier, a swarm of locusts perhaps.
N/A

~Cooling~

yeah, i noticed tonight, after picking up my curry Cheesy. and ill try the papers. also i think i`ll try red neon, or some other colour, what do you guys sugegst ( black case black monitor black desk.
marc
N/A

~Cooling~

You could try opening the window
N/A

~Cooling~

Green, i saw a couple of mod'ed sun case with some very cool green lights
N/A

~Cooling~

Small thought: I find at work that monitors put out more heat than the PC base units. If you leave your PC turned on 24/7 make sure oyu physically turn the monitor off. Try using your PC for 30 mins and putting your hand on top of the monitor. Of course with TFT's this heat is reduced a lot, but the power supply for the screen still gets hot....

Just a thought...

Regards,

nry