cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting fields to values in Word 2000

RobDickson
Grafter

I have a Word file that is about 80 pages long, and is simply 80 links to other Word documents (each other Word document is one page, obviously). I have used Acrobat Distiller to create a PDF file, and supplied this to our customer.

He now wants the original Word document, but I want to send him one document, not lots of documents. I tried saving as RTF, but this still kept all the links.

Does anybody know of a way around this? There seems to be some PDF-DOC software around, but this seems a long-winded way around my problem (and it involves buying some new software, which I will probably only use once).
7 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Do you mean he wants a pdf of all 80 pages in one document?

It shouldn't be that hard to simply copy and paste each of the single pages into a larger document. Then create a pdf from that. There are various ways you can do that with free software. pdf995 is one example, which pretends to be a printer and outputs the file to a pdf.

Or try OpenOffice. It has exporting to pdf built in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

You could try this - I assume it works in Word 2000 (I still use Word 97)

Field codes: IncludeText field

{ INCLUDETEXT "FileName" [Bookmark ] [Switches ] }
Inserts the text and graphics contained in the named document. You can insert the entire document, or, if it's a Word document, you can insert only the portion referred to by a bookmark.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thank-you both for your replies. I obviously didn't explain myself very well.

The 80-page Word document exists as 80 INCLUDETEXT links, inserting 80 one-page Word documents into one master document. I have already converted the master document to PDF using Acrobat Distiller (which also pretends to be a printer), and supplied him with the single PDF file.

However, we wants the Word document, so that he can modify it himself. I don't want to send the master Word document, together with the 80 sub-documents, I want to be able to send one Word file.

Your solution of copying and pasting each individual Word document into one master document would work, but I think it would take far too long.

I hope this makes more sense.
N/A

try this ...

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

Used it many a times for simple conversions Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

In which case possibly the easiest solution would be a shareware pdf to word converter such as this
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/PDF-to-Word-Converter.shtml
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.

The online tools aren't really suitable, because they'll only create a text output. However, the online tools page was VERY useful, because it told me that the full version of Acrobat could save RTF files. I hadn't even considered that the piece of software that created the files from Word format would save them back into Word format.

Thanks for the link to the Shareware, but it looks as if I won't be needing any more software anymore.

Thanks again for all your help.
N/A

If you have acrobat it will convert the pdf back to word simply choose save as and choose word.