Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling MS Windows XP auto software update

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Has anyone any clues on how to manage the download time for the Windows XP SP2 auto update facility?

The auto update facility downloads system update software, in the back ground, whilst connected to the internet. Now that's fine when on dial-up - it can only happen when you're connected and there is no download limits. However on BB you are always connected and it can happen at any time. Ideally I want to be able to select the time that the download is run such that downloads can happen in the off-peak window (01:00 to 07:00) and not eat into to my 1GB download limit. AVS tools are controlled by the XP Scheduler, so they have been easy to fix.

The auto-update configuration tool permits the user to specify when the updates are to be INSTALLED but there appears to be no means to specify when they are to be DOWNLOADED.

Anyone out there got any ideas please :?:

TIA,
Kevin
7 REPLIES
N/A

If you go into the security centre and into the automatic download options there is a option to have you notified when updates are available but not to download or install them until you choose. That why it will put an icon and baloon message in the system tray to notify you and then you can click on it to start the download and install when you choose.
Superuser
Superuser

Skinz,

That is correct, but I'll have to stay wake until the small hours of the morning to click the "go and do it" button. Rather defeats the whole objective of having a cleaver computer and a job scheduler. Someone missed a trick here. I doubt that the update function polls MS all day long looking for updates. There has to be a sheduler somewhere, I just want to take control of it!

Thanks,
Kevin
LiamM
Grafter

N/A

Skinz,

That is correct, but I'll have to stay wake until the small hours of the morning to click the "go and do it" button. Rather defeats the whole objective of having a cleaver computer and a job scheduler. Someone missed a trick here. I doubt that the update function polls MS all day long looking for updates. There has to be a sheduler somewhere, I just want to take control of it!

Thanks,
Kevin

To be honest most windows updates are quite small once you are fully patched up with the main service packs. They should only be a couple of megs at most. And it's not like it has to update every day. It varies a lot of course but you should only get an update on average maybe around once every 2-4 weeks. A couple of megs once every 2-4 weeks hardly seems worth worrying about concerning your download limit. You would use more by surfing simple html pages in an hour.
N/A

I know very little about XP, I just read posts like this in the hope that I might pick up the odd crumb which may be handy when sorting out my mate's PC for him, but something struck me ....

"Ideally I want to be able to select the time that the download is run such that downloads can happen in the off-peak window (01:00 to 07:00) and not eat into to my 1GB download limit. "

A 1 GB download limit says to me that you are on a Lite package, not a Premier package, so the off-peak lark doesn't apply.

If you're like me, you'll probably want to find a way of doing it anyway, on the principle of not letting Windows beat you, but if you can't I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Superuser
Superuser

A 1 GB download limit says to me that you are on a Lite package, not a Premier package, so the off-peak lark doesn't apply.

If you're like me, you'll probably want to find a way of doing it anyway, on the principle of not letting Windows beat you, but if you can't I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Gordon,

Point 1 I'm not entirely sure - whilst I cannot find any reference to this for LITE users in current PN web site content - I'm quite sure that there was some mention of this in my sign-up or welcome documentation. There again I might be wrong! Shockedops: :?

Point 2 - yes, we should never allow ourselves to be beaten by MS Windows!

Kevin
Superuser
Superuser

This may interest you - http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=27171&category=main

Liam,

Thanks, but did I miss something. This looks like a long debate about the merits of SP2 - I did not see anything about controlling download times. I'm convinced that a full patch OS is a must.

Cheers, (is that red wine?)
Kevin