cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection freezing?

Billy_Love
Dabbler

Connection freezing?

Since replacing my old USR external modem (which died during a recent storm) with a new one I am experiencing connection problems. After a short and variable amount of time the connection appears to freeze with no incomming traffic being shown before the connection eventually failing. Support have suggested both firewall and modem installation issues. I have disabled my sygate firewall and reinstalled the modem but still experience the problem. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I am using XP Pro and IE6.

Huw
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Connection freezing?

Do you mean USB modem rather than USR ?
If so this sounds like the new modem is drawing a bit more power than the old one and the Motherboard cant quite cope with it.
If this is the case then solutions are to make sure no other USB devizes are conected and getting a powered USBhub to supply the extra current.
Community Veteran

Connection freezing?

USR = US Robotics, not USB.

If the new one is a V92 model (most likely), try disabling the V92 mode as it can cause compatibility issues. Just google for 'disable V92' and you should find the commands to turn it off or read the modems manual.

What did you replace the USR modem with?
Community Veteran

Connection freezing?

Couple more things...

Was the damage due to lighning strike? If so could your phone wiring be faulty?

Do you get noise on your normal phone - try just dialling 1 and you should hear silence. If it is crackling and poping you may need to ring BT and get your line checked. Say your modem died during a storm so they know there could be storm damage to investigate.

Have you tried your old modems phone cable - sometimes this can make a difference.

Is there any difference with all other phones disconnected?

Are you connected to your BT master socket or an extension. If an extension, does the same thing happen if connected to your master socket.

Have you tried a different serial port if you have one - uninstall then reinstall on the other serial port.
Billy_Love
Dabbler

Connection freezing?

Thanks for the advice... the new modem is another US Robotics external v92, the old one was v90. Don't think it was an actual strike, but I wasn't at home at the time, all other electrical equipment fine with no loss of power. Phone line sounds fine and I am connected to a BT master socket with no other phones, but I am now using a surge protector on the phone line which I didn't before. One I have notice is that the fault occurs quicker and more frequently if I am not clicking on links etc, if I pause and read a page or message for example the connection is more likely to drop.
I'll try disabling the V92 mode, support made no mention of this. Then I will try replacing the modem, technical support stated that the connection is being terminated at my end and could be a modem fault.

Cheers

Huw