cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Sharing?

N/A

Connection Sharing?

Hi,

I have the binnatone USB modem i also have an old 3com 8 port 10mbit switch my main pc that the modem is connected to is running WinXP and the 2nd is running 2000 can i use the switch to share the internet connection as well as files and printers.

I have tried setting this up and have had no luck! i have had file sharing working and internet connection sharing working a long time ago but both computers were Win2000 and it was only dial up!

Please help as i would really like to share the connection onto the other computer plus all the advantages of sharing the files and printers

Thanks

Andy
5 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Sharing?

We should have a FAQ for this by now.

Set up pc one which is the one with the modem.
ip 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 set dns to +nets dns

Set pc 2 to
ip 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 set dns to +nets dns default gateway set to 10.0.0.02.

pc 3 set to
ip 10.0.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 set dns to +nets dns default gateway set to 10.0.0.02.

You should be able to connect to the net from any pc as long as the one with the modem is connected. You should be able to share files and printers. Create a share in explorer by right clicking on a folder and choose properties and then sharing.

you should then be able to browse the network and connect to shares. You can connect to a share by typing at the dos promt

net use p: \\pcname\share name

this set drive p (you cann use any drive letter not in use) to the share so it would be somthing like

net use p: \\davespc\music or to connect to a drive

net use p:\davespc\c$ This is a admin share so your username and password must be the same on both pc.(well it doesnt have to be but its a lot easier if it is.
N/A

Connection Sharing?

Thanks i did all that..

but the +net dns part im not sure what to do with that..

i tried it the dns suffix box which win2000 accepted but the XP box would not?

i can ping from each machine so they see each other but only when nortan internet security is disabled.. i tried tell nortons to accept the ip address's of each computer but the ping kept failing despite this..

so im kind of half way their..

the win2000 machine can only see itself and the xp machine can see both! again only with nortons disabled?

thanks

Andy
N/A

Connection Sharing?

xpressmedia, have you set all the computers to the same workgroup in windows networking??

Also, I remember (back in windows98 anyway), that you had to be sharing stuff already on each machine before they fully appear on the network... may not apply here though...

and yes, sounds like more tweaking is needed with Norton security if you want to keep it running and being able to access between machines...
N/A

Connection Sharing?

In addition to "mwong's" points, the /etc/services file (%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\services) in my version of Windows shows these entries for SMB Networking:
netbios-ns  137/tcp  nbname      #NETBIOS Name Service

netbios-ns 137/udp nbname #NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm 138/udp nbdatagram #NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-ssn 139/tcp nbsession #NETBIOS Session Service

This would seem to indicate you need to configure your firewall to allow traffic on ports 137 (both tcp and udp), 138 (udp) and 139 (tcp) to pass through.
N/A

Connection Sharing?

I use ccproxy 6.0 to share my temporary aol!!! connection, works a treat. Not sure if this is better than windows ICS?

It is free for upto 3 computers.

http://www.youngzsoft.com/