cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Settings help

Haylamar
Dabbler

Connection Settings help

Hi, just a quick question, I have recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP Professional, and I have noticed that under network connections my Binatone 500 Modem comes up as LAN or Other High Speed Internet connection. Is this correct? The +net package I have is 512 Easystart. I seem to have no problem connecting to the internet but, I now have a little icon that appears in my task tray which shows two computer screens with a yellow dot joining them, which when you hover over it with your mouse it says;

Local Area Connection 4
Speed: 10.0Mbps

When you right click on it gives you the following options

Disable
Status
Repair
Network Connections

If you then disable and enable the connection the icon disappears.

I haven't seen this before. Is it to do with the Binatone modem/the windows firewall (which I don't use as I have ZoneAlarm – Windows firewall seems to turn itself off every time I startup) or is it just a setting on my PC I need to change? I don't have this PC connected to any other PCs.

It's probably a really simple answer, but unfortunately I'm no wiz with PCs so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Connection Settings help

If your not using any wireless equiptment go into services and disable "Wireless zero configuration" which is on by default and this icon should disappear

go to run type "services.msc" and its about two or three up from the bottom

if its still there after doing that then im not sure but someone else might
be able to advise you
its been a while since i used modems
Haylamar
Dabbler

Connection Settings help

Thanks, that option was actually already disabled. When looking at that services list I found the new Windows Firewall/Internet Connection sharing service. When I stopped running - the icon disappeared - I have now set this to manual which I hope will be OK.

Is it OK for me to run Zonealarm instead of using the Windows Firewall?

Hayley
Community Veteran

Connection Settings help

Yes the Windows firewall only checks incoming items however Zone Alarm also looks at things outgoing from you and does a better job than the Windows one
holdtight
Grafter

Connection Settings help

I would recommend disabling the windows firewall rather than leaving it on manual if you are going to use a third party firewall (zonealarm)

xp can sometimes restart services if there on manual which could
cause conflicts
Haylamar
Dabbler

Connection Settings help

Brilliant. Have disabled and all seems OK now. Thanks for your help.