cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problem.

N/A

Connection Problem.

I've got an annoying little problem that isn't serious, just annoying. When I've been connected to the net and finished whatever I'm doing, I usualy disconnect. There's no real need to, it's just an old habit which is hard to get out of. I do it because I don't trust computers. When I try to re-connect, I connect to the net OK but when I try to visit any websites I get a cannot find server error. This applies to the Plusnet portal as well. The only way to be able to resume browsing is to re-boot. I know I could just leave the connection open, but I wondered if anyone had any idea of what is happening. I run XP Pro with service pack 1 and all the updates except service pack 2, which does not seem to like me. I run AVG 7 and an older version of Zone Alarm Pro that has never given any problems and does what I want it to. Checked everything for spyware and virus infections. I connect through a Samsung AHT-E310 USB modem and there is no router. I'm on 2MB Premier. Only started happening in the last 3 months. It was doing this before the upgrade to 2MB.
Regards, John Taylor.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Problem.

Sound like are old friend DNS cache. When you connect to a site say www.plus.net you pc asks the DNS server for the ip address of the web page and it returns a number 212.159.8.137. Your pc cache this for future use so next time you ask for it it doesnt go and ask the DNS it looks in its cache and says yes its 212.159.8.137.

This speeds up you internet. What also happens is if it asks for a IP and it isnt there then it marks it in the cache as bad or not there. So next time it asks it doesnt check it just says its not there.

When you turn your connection off many things try to acces the net like MS update,AV updates etc and they get no responce from the DNS so it marks it as not being there. Hence your problem when you turn it back on. If it is this you should clear it by opening a cmd prompmt and type ipconfig / flushdns.

You can sort it out permantly by a few hacks see
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158
N/A

Connection Problem.

Thanks for the info. I tried that but without any success. I've managed to narrow it down to bit torrent. When I use bit torrent then disconnect, this is when the problem happens. If I don't use bit torrent everything works fine. I've also noticed that when first connecting to the net and opening a web page, the first web page I select takes ages to do a DNS lookup, anything up to 10 seconds. After the first page has loaded, everything is OK.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

Connection Problem.

do you get a error Event ID 4226 in the event log? In which case its a tcip problem

try my fix http://www.janwright.co.uk/tcip.zip
N/A

Connection Problem.

Bit of a puzzler this one. No errors that you mention in the event log. I'm getting loads of DCOM errors, but that's because I've got SSDP Discovery disabled. Applied your reg patch but to no avail. Also applied the patch from the site you mentioned. It seems to happen after bit torrent has been running for 10 mins or more. Up to then I can disconnect and re-connect OK. After that it's back to "can't find server or DNS error". Don't use bit torrent and it's fine. I'm using Shadow's Experimental 5 8 11. Used it for ages and no problems up until about 3 months ago. I may try a different client, although I would like to stick with this one if possible.
EDIT
Forgot to mention that the first DNS lookup still takes ages.
Regards, John Taylor