cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting more than 2 computers via router

N/A

I have just set-up 2 computers sharing the connection using BT Voyager 4-port router using the instructions downloaded from this website and that which came with the router. My desktop is connected via ethernet while my husband's desktop is connected via USB. However, we have noticed a big difference in surfing speed. While I whizzed through the internet, my husband is having trouble even loading up hotmail (he IS connected to the internet).

I have also tested my work laptop connected to Ethernet port 2 and running both my husband and my desktops. There is a speed difference between the ethernet connected desktop and the ethernet connected laptop. The laptop connection seemed to be approximately the same as my husband's USB connected desktop.

Any advise? I have not touched any settings at all (basically plug and play for ethernet connection and just install the software for the USB connection).
7 REPLIES
Walrus
Grafter

First thing to test, is whether the "slow" machine is faster if connected to a different router port.

After that, the best way forward is to compare the 2 ethernet connected machines, comparision to the USB one will be difficult.

• For each ethernet connected machine, checks the "Properties" of the connection (the one connected to the router in each case) in Control Panel->Network Connections. (Will usually be called 'Local Area Connection' on XP).
  • Look for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in Properties on both machines.
  • Get the Properties of "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

The Properties of the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" should be the same in both cases. If you are unsure before changing anything, you can detail the current settings here. If both are identical you need to look elsewhere.
Rich
Grafter

The Properties of the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" should be the same in both cases.

Almost... If the IP Address is not obtained automatically, then it should be in the same range in both cases, but the last number needs to differ.

e.g. PC1 - 192.168.1.10
PC2 - 192.168.1.11

Everything else should be the same

Regards
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Check the MTU on the router, if it is below 1500, try changing it to 1500.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Check the MTU on the router, if it is below 1500, try changing it to 1500.

MTU?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

Somewhere in the router interface will be a place to set this. If you post the exact model number of your router I'm sure someone with the same will point you to the right place.

Basically, if it is set too low each packet sent or received gets split in to two so that it fits, I've seen it halve speed of a wireless router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Have you tried 2 pcs without any usb connections? The usb is slow and takes power which may be slowing the others. If possible get rid of the usb and use the network. If the usb is having problems it could be taking all the bandwidth and killing the other pcs.

Make sure the other pc's dont have any heavy downloads running which can kill the network. When you connect does it say the pc is connecting at 100 mb or 10mb?
N/A

I have Voyager 2500V and am currently connected at 10Mbps.

How do I check and change MTU? I am using Window XP.