cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Routers

N/A

Connecting Routers

The router i can access is the wired ADSL modem router, the other is a router, not an access point, model no # F5D7230-4. the routers have different IP's as far as i know, but seeing as i cant access the wireless at all, im not possative about it
13 REPLIES
N/A

Connecting Routers

I have a generic 4 port ADSL modem router (not a clue of the make, doesnt say anywhere, and came in a plain box) which works like a dream, but i recently bought a belkin wireless router, with 4 extra LAN ports.
The problem i am haveing is with seting up the belik router, i can get the net signal through to my pc (wireless) just fine, but when i want to enable file sharing, it seems i have to dissable the NAT on the belkin, which again all works fine, but when i do this the router says it changes its ip to 192.168.2.254,
so i click ok, and try to load up that IP to gain access and do all the MAC address stuff (i know i could do that first, but what if i want to add another one in the future?) but the router aint on that address, or the previous one, and i have to reset and do it all again if i want to make any changes, anyone have any idea how i could access it
( i did try one of those IP sniffer doodads, which said ther was something on the IP that the router said it was, but still couldnt access it! )

Please help!
N/A

Connecting Routers

Can you not disable NAT on one of the routers and manually input the IP's so they are all in the same group.
N/A

Connecting Routers

i could, but when i dissable nat, the wireless routers IP changes, and it aint where is says it should be, and i cant access ti to input anything at all, and i cant dissable the nat on the other router, because that is also the modem, and 2 other comps are connected via ethernet to that router, so it aint really an option
N/A

Connecting Routers

Im thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:
N/A

Connecting Routers

Are both router configured to provide routing information? what DCHP? are they both acting as DCHP servers?

I would have thought you would only want one router using NAT, which would be the your first modem router.
N/A

Connecting Routers

The first router has DHCP and NAT enabled, the second (wireless) has niether enabled
Community Veteran

Connecting Routers

Two routers on a simple network are only going to cause problems.
I suggest that you use the wireless router and a hub or switch to provide the additional ports you require.

Chilly
N/A

Connecting Routers

if i used that configuration, i wouldnt get the internet at all, the first router contains the modem, and the second is wireless, i need them both! and i cant afford to be bying new hardware, when this all works, i just cant access it to make changes
N/A

Connecting Routers

Which router can you access, and which one can you not, sorry if you've previously post this.

I'm just wondering, since most routers have a default address to access their setup, and well if they are both the same, then that might explain in. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd post it anyway. :-)
holdtight
Grafter

Connecting Routers

Is your Belkin actually a router or a wireless access point ? can you
provide the model number
ddunford
Grafter

Connecting Routers

(The belkin router will also have a defualt address of 192.168.2.1 you make need to change the ip on your local machine to 192.168.2.2 to be able to access the settings, as this is what i needed to do)

Ok i have pretty much the same setup as you, belkin wireless router F5D7230-4 (This one has to be set as just an access point, yes you can change this) make sure this access point is then assigned with the IP of 192.168.0.100

Ok and the second router which is the one thats gonna be acting as you modem/router, needs to be set the ip of 192.168.0.1 then connect both the router and now access point via cable, then connect the PC to you router, not the wireless access point.

THESE SETTINGS BELOW ARE ALL IN - START > CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK CONNECTIONS > LOCAL AREA NETWORK (RIGHT CLICK PROPERTIES) > INTERNET PROTOLCOL(TCP/IP) (HI-LIGHT CLICK PROPERTIES)
Now make sure that the PC has an ip between 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99 and the subnet of 255.255.255.0 (If you have more than one pc on the network then obviously make sure that they all have different ip's. The next thing is for the gate way you need to change this to 192.168.0.1

If you are still unable to access the internet, then try changing the DNS primary to 192.168.0.1 and WINS in "advanced" to 192.168.0.1 as i had this problem and found that if i set these options i was then able to access the internet.

As for the NAT you have to configue this via the router/modem that you had no name for, there is no point configuring NAT on the wireless belkin router as it wont be making a direct connection to the internet.

I hope this works (and makes sense)
N/A

Connecting Routers

well, it works now, not sure how it works, or why, but it does,
i changed the IP as sudgested to 192.168.0.100, then it worked
(although it did change its own IP back to 192.168.2.1)
it now works, and the NAT's on, and DHCP.....?
but its all working,

thanx for all the help everyone!
ddunford
Grafter

Connecting Routers

Your welcome glad to help.