Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting LCD TV to Sky Digibox ??

henderson1977
Grafter

Hi all

I have bought a Samsung 940MW LCD TV (DSUB, DVI-D, Component, Scart) from PCWorld. Great as a monitor but poor tv picture quality, when using a standard ariel. However, good tv picture quality, when connected to my Sky Digibox via Scart. I appreciate I may need to upgrade my external tv ariel to improve the analogue signal.

However, if this proves unfruitful, what are my options for connecting the 940MW in the upstairs bedroom to my Sky DigiBox in the downstairs living room please? Scart cables are usually no longer than 5/10 metres. Could I link 2 scart cables via a multi-scart switcher? If so, would this degrade the picture quality?

The 940MW also has component video inputs but again, these cables no usually no longer than 3 metres. Neverthless, I have not tested the tv quality with component video and I'm not even sure if it's possible (?!).

Perhaps I could get another Sky DigiBox and link with the other DigiBox. If possible, how would I go about doing this please?

Any advice in the above would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
9 REPLIES
Stew

I also have poor terrestial quality (due to area I live in).

However, my Skydigibox has 2 coaxial outputs, I have run one absolutely miles from the box up to the attic, and can get a pretty good signal on a TV up here. Thus I can watch BBC1 etc through the SKY Box up in the attic, but not using the aerial.

You can also buy special adaptors to allow you to change the channels on the Sky Boxes from a distance....this allows you and your family to fight over the Sky Box from other ends of the house! Great Fun!

So - rather than trying the SCART leads, have a look to see if you can just use Co-axial off the Sky box.

Good luck!
henderson1977
Grafter

Many thanks for the suggestion. I found a spare co-axial cable, had to strip one end and fit a male co-axial connection. To the other end, I fitted a back-to-back (female) co-axial connection. I then connected the male end to the ariel connection on the 940MW and the female end to the RF Out on the Sky DigiBox.

Picture quality is slightly better than a standard ariel but, not in the same league as scart. Diagonal lines, parallel to each other, move slowly down the screen continuously. I have never 'wired' a co-axial cable before, so perhaps my 1st attempt maybe the cause. Nevertheless, is this the level of picture quality I should expect from RF Out or could this be improved please?

Or if not, is there an alternative solution to my conundrum please?

Thanks in advance
Scott
Community Veteran

What about getting a wireless TV transmitter. We use one for sharing the TV between 2 bedrooms. They use similar frequencies to wireless networks and connect via scart connectors usually. They can get some interference but generally our picture for sky through it is equal to a very good analogue broadcast and our one also allows the remote control signal to pass back through the transmitter and out to the Digibox.

We got ours from B&Q. Do a search for wireless TV link on places like Dixons or Comet or maybe try ebay.
henderson1977
Grafter

Good idea! I'll try just that... thanks for your prompt replies, very helpful Smiley
henderson1977
Grafter

What about getting a wireless TV transmitter. We use one for sharing the TV between 2 bedrooms. They use similar frequencies to wireless networks and connect via scart connectors usually. They can get some interference but generally our picture for sky through it is equal to a very good analogue broadcast and our one also allows the remote control signal to pass back through the transmitter and out to the Digibox.

We got ours from B&Q. Do a search for wireless TV link on places like Dixons or Comet or maybe try ebay.

After checking out wireless senders on Maplin's website, I have learnt that both wireless sender and my wireless router operate on the 2.4Ghz frequency, hence conflicts/interference/bad news. Is there any way around this (i.e. changing frequency on wireless router? If so, how?)? If not, perhaps I can buy a 15/20 metre RF cable for somewhere? Where should I look please?
Community Veteran

My wireless TV thing has 4 channels, one gets interference sometimes, but the other 2 are ok. I don't have a wireless network though.
henderson1977
Grafter

Anyone experienced conflicts/intereference when running a wireless router and wireless tv sender on the same (2.4Ghz) frequency please? Or is it simply a case of changing to a different channel on the wireless tv sender?
N/A

Most wireless consumer electronics operate in the same frequency, I think its because its one ot the "public" frequencies, so you don't need a license for it. (Similar principal to CB using specific frequencies so you don't need licenses, as opposed to Emergency services and radio stations, who buy licenses and are granted specific frequencies to use)

Our cordless phone uses the 2.4Ghz range, so does my wireless router (Netgear834G), and so does my wireless video sender. None of them seem to experience any deterioration in quality. (Both neighbours also have wireless routers in the same range too)

When you set it up, its worth making sure any transmitter/receivers are at least a metre apart if possible to cut down the chances of interference (if my cordless phone base is within a metre of my AV sender, I get interference).

Also note that the antennae on AV senders are usually directional, so make sure you point them directly at each other.

Other than that, you should find that the quality is pretty good.
shellsong
Grafter

FWIW according to Wikipedia
Maximum SCART cable length is estimated to about 10 to 15 meters without relay.