cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 2 Networks

N/A

Connecting 2 Networks

Basically I have a test box running MS Windows 2003, Enterprise Edition trial and I have 2 network cards.

Card1 connects to the modem for the internet with ip address 192.168.0.2, whilst Card2 connects to the switch for home network with ip address 192.168.1.1.

I want to know is how can I make both networks talk so that I can surf the Internet?
7 REPLIES
zpeterk
Grafter

Connecting 2 Networks

what sort of adsl connection device have you got?
N/A

Connecting 2 Networks

what sort of adsl connection device have you got?

It's a Netgear DG-834 which is a modem,router,firewall and wireless acces point.
zpeterk
Grafter

Connecting 2 Networks

connect them straight to the router and leave the server to its own work
N/A

Connecting 2 Networks

You could leave the router to handle of the traffic between your computers and act as DCHP,as already mentioned.

If you follow this route you won't need the switch unless your running more than 4 computers. In which case, you connect the switch to the back of the router and plug the rest in to the swtich.

The router will alllow you to control internet and lan traffic between any of the computers on the network and thus hopefully solve your problem.

I would suggest you place software firewalls on each PC as well.

Aaron
N/A

Connecting 2 Networks

if your modem uses the 192.168 range, then ensure the nic that has 192.168.1.1 is changed. this is without doubt the number used by the modem/router? or is it 192.168.1.0?
do not conflict the ip numbers.
stick a lead from the switch into the router and that sorts the other network connection out and have both nics go into the router too. that allows you to have 1 nic for your server stuff for the wan without having things like file sharing enabled on it etc.
the second nic you can use just for your lan work with file sharing and other stuff enabled.
your firewall should be able to selectively block seperately with the different nics as well. you will need the firewall because of the internet access.

some router are able to have seperate network configs but you would have to read the manual for that.
N/A

Connecting 2 Networks

The router IP will be 192.168.0.1 , unless it's been changed from the factory default.

You can configure the two networks using the firewall controls, so you can chose which IP address have internet access and which don't and which IP address on your network can file share and which can't see each other.

I have the same router, so if you want info, then let me know.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

Connecting 2 Networks

Got it all working shoul dhave used the wizard instead of doing it manually Cheesy