cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict Message

N/A

Conflict Message

Yesterday I couldn't connect to any web site - everytime I tried I got the "couldn't find server/DNS" screen. I ran Winsockfix (which cured the problem last time), re-booted, checked the connection via another computer, but nothing worked so I switched off & went to bed!

Tonight when I booted up I got a message window saying "The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.0.2 with the system having hardware address 00:0A:95:E1:9B:A8". I just clicked OK and everything is working fine.

Could yesterday's problem be linked with today's message and, if so, what do I need to do to prevent a recurrance?

Any simple advice for a computer dummy like me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

Conflict Message

What its telling you is that another pc on your network has got the same ip address as yours. When it finds this it shuts down your network so nothing will work from your pc.

If you go to each pc and open a cmd window and type ipconfig /all you will see the address for each pc the one that is the same has the address 00:0A:95:E1:9B:A8

You must change the ip for one of the pc's change it to 192.168.0.8 it should all work ok then
N/A

Conflict Message

Thanks for that. Looks like you've hit the nail on the head - just checked my son's ibook and it has a message box on the screen about an IP configuration problem saying 192.168.0.2 is in use by 00:09:5B:A0:83:E5 which I guess is my PC.

Just one more problem - how do I change the IP address? (told you I am a dummy Shockedops: )
N/A

Conflict Message

I assume you are using XP? Start /settings /control panel/network connections/local area connection. Or a quicker way is to click on the 2 tv screens on the right of the task bar(may not be there)

You then want properties genral tab and click on tcip you should then see the ip address and be able to change it. If it says obtain ip automaticly try th other pc.