Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring SAR 130 for emule

Alecto
Grafter

Hello
I've just installed emule, but my SAR 130 won't let anything from it in.
Although the router's stealthed, I've port forwarded the appropriate ports and set up IFP rules, and even disabled NIS firewall, all to no avail.

I've asked on the Solwise forum, but that's a bit like a ghost town at present.

Does anyone know the SAR 130 in detail to help, or should I bin it and get a Netgear? :roll:
11 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

What rules have you actually setup? I have used emule in the past, although admitly I do have a netgear router.

Aaron
Alecto
Grafter

Hi Aaron
the router was initially stealthed and it defeated the shields up tests.
Then I set up port forwarding for 4662, 4711 and 4672
followed by IP filter rules to allow incoming 4662 TCP, 4771 TCP and 4672 UDP. (I don't have much idea what any of that means, just followed instructions on the emule site and Help on the SAR itself).
Then I tried the emule test to see if it let anything though and it failed on the TCP, so wouldn't try the UDP. This was with my NIS firewall disabled, so I know that's not to blame.

The ports that the emule program says it's using are the ones I've listed.
There must be something basic I've missed - like a tick in a Windows box that renders your system useless!
N/A

Does the router have SPI? I would leave NIS running since it will block any unwaranted traffic from these open ports and thus should restore your stealth rating within ShieldsUp.

Aaron
Alecto
Grafter

As far as I can tell, it doesn't have SPI - there's no mention of it on the router help pages. It does have NAT which I suspect is an alternative.

Yes, I only disabled the NIS to show that it wasn't interfering with the test and that the router was therefore to blame. I wouldn't run anything without it.

I think I'll set the rules up all over again in the morning just in case I've had any finger trouble, then if it's still not working, I'll ring Solwise and see what they have to say.

thanks Aaron
N/A

SPI is a firewall function and is normally in additional to NAT.

So is Emule actually working? or is this the issue? bearing in mind that because your using a router with NAT that it will take a bit longer for any connections to be established.

Aaron
Alecto
Grafter

No, the problem is that it doesn't work at all.
I've downloaded the list of servers OK, but that's from a pasted-in URL.
Then I've set it going to download something and it just says "waiting".

I've run the port test you get on the preferences page. This says that it tests whether they (don't know who they is) can contact your computer. It comes back and tells me that the TCP test has failed and it can't make contact with my computer and tells me to sort out my router/firewall.
I assume that this is my stealthing being over successful and the rules I've set up not working properly. As I said, likely to be a tick in a box somewhere.

Other than that (!) I'm pleased with the router.
N/A

It will say waiting, since the emule software uses a queue based system, it's one of the reasons I don't like it. The more you upload the better your overall rating and the quick you move up the queue.

I'll have to reload emule, since I've not long re-formatted my disk,and check whether there is an option you need to select in order for it to work.
Alecto
Grafter

Just to round off the story Aaron,

I reinput the rules unticking any thing that was ticked and vice/versa, and it turned out to be a box marked "Apply stateful inspection" on the IP filter rules. When I unticked this and reinput the rules, it worked OK.
It even switched from "waiting" to "downloading" for a minute, (but hasn't actually done anything yet.)

If emule has a lot of waiting around, would I be better switching to a bit torrent one and trying that?
N/A

To be honest I would switch to Bit Torrent, some people like emule but I find the whole idea of searching etc. a pain.

"Apply stateful inspection", this is SPI I'm guessing, not sure why it would stop it from working though.

Aaron
the_norris
Grafter

to check if emule is working (connection ok) check on the status bar. (Bottom right)

Will be a little globe with two coloured arrows. Then the server name or 'Not COnnected' .

The arrow colours mean:

Red - not connected.
Yellow - connected but LOW ID - Incoming connections not working - Time to check your config and router.

Green - All systems GO. Time to sit back and wait Smiley

For each file you have listed there should be a colum for sources looks like (100/350) then its found sources to download from.

Phil
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks Phil
That "Stateful Inspection" tick seemed to be the problem, though I've no idea why.
The globe thingie is all green and I'm connected to Ed2k and Kad.
Emule's going now, though in general it's so slow that I might as well be on the BBP!
It's uploading far more than downloading, though I've adjusted the up/down limits in Preferences and at one stage managed Up 10k, Down 25k so I assume it's just the files I've requested and tthe way the thing works.