cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computers being able to communicate with each other

N/A

I have 2 computers connected to broadband through a combined modem/router from Netgear. The router has a wireless (802.11) connection as well as 4 physical ports. I have a wireless connection for my laptop and the other compter, a desktop, is connected directly with a LAN card.

Perhaps naively it feels like these 2 machines should be able to communicate with one another and perhaps share files without having to set up a physical connection i.e. cable between the 2 of them.

Am I being silly?
7 REPLIES
N/A

No, you're quite correct.

Assuming you're running versions of Windows (which versions?) you need to ensure you have the correct networking services installed. As well as TCP/IP, you need "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and the "Client for Microsoft Networks" components (names vary according to the version of Windows in use). The former gives your PC the ability to act as a server, in that you can designate resources you are prepared to share -- remote computers may connect to and use these; the latter enables your PC to act as a client, connecting to and using the shared resources made available by other computers.

With those services installed, you should be able to right click on a resource (eg a drive, a folder, a file, a printer) and bring up a dialogue in which you can make the resource available to other PCs (look for "Sharing" or "Shares"). In "My Network Places" you will see resources which are available for sharing. "Tools" -> "Map Network Drive" allows you to assign a drive letter to remote resources and use them as if they were local drives. Similarly printers connected to remote PCs can be used as if they were local.

Interesting background information on all this, as viewed from the Open Source perspective, may be seen in Using Samba. Windows users will find Chapters 1 (Learning the Samba), 3 (Configuring Windows Clients), 4 (Windows NT Domains) and 7 (Name Resolution and Browsing) the most pertinent, but all of it is worth reading. Other useful documentation may also be found on the Samba website.
N/A

How is your wirless set up? is it set to access or any connection. You may need to check its set to access. Check the ip on each pc with ipconfig /all assuming you are running windows. they should both be in the same range and the same subnet. If they are ok you should ba able to ping the other machine.

If you can do that then if you add the sharing as described you should be able to connect ok.

You can also connect by typing at the command prompt

net use p: \\machinename\share name

If the admin name and password are the same on both machine you should be able to connect with

net use p: \\machinename\c$ which with map the c drive as drive p
N/A

Computer network

Go to Network places and use the set up Wizard, allows sharing of files ,printer and internet, works a treat on Xp. Good luck Cheesy
N/A

I feel like I am almost there.

Desktop is XP. Laptop is 2000.
I ran the network setup wizard from XP and it created a disk for the laptop which I am nervous to run as it is a work machine and accesses a LAN at work. I am worried this connection will be messed up.

Also concerned that the wizard told me connecting multiple computers through a hub was not recommended for security reasons. I have a firewall. Does that mean my shares are safe from attack.

Note sure about the wireless access and where to look. IP address for wireless card is out by one and subnet is the same. Ping from laptop times out but from desktop to laptop is okay. Can see the share I set up but cannot access it. Any clues what else to try
N/A

Check with your works IT dept before doing anything with your works laptop. Running the wizard on it will certainly change the network settings.
Some companies operate a strict IT policy that can even mean dismissal if you use works equipment on the open net (via VPN to your company network is OK). This is becuase you could be giving away company info or get a virus which you then transmit to your company network.
N/A

Take a look at the settings on your laptop, and see which workgroup (or domain) it's in. Set your home machine to be in a workgroup with the same name (Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System -> The Computer Name tab provides a facility for setting the workgroup or domain [domain is not possible without a domain controller]).

Also, on your home machine, create a new user account with the same name as the account you use on the laptop, and with the same password.

On your PC's firewall, you need to open up ports 137 (both udp and tcp), 138 (udp) and 139 (tcp). Make no changes on the Netgear ADSL router -- it will keep people out on the Internet off your local network.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

I run a NetGear FM114P. On the Wireless Settings page of the operating software there is a checkbox labeled "Enable bridging to wired LAN". If you don't check this box then wireless devices cannot comunicate with hard-wired devices.