richard-
Grafter

Computer restarts when game starts

Hi, I have a problem with playing games, when the game starts the
computer restarts. It may happen straight away or it might happen after
10-15mins but it doesn't stay on that long before it will just restart
without no warning Sad

I haven't played a game for about 1 1/2 years on my own
computer, does anyone know what could be wrong, its only a 1.3 ghz ...

Sad
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

With the little info provided would say its likely hardware thats about to die or if you move your pc about a lot or using a cheap fan, then possibly one of the fans has come Loose from the Video card / motherboard.

So first check that all fans are secure.

Video card: it could be the ram on it is damaged and over heating, even with good cooling so try using another older video card if you have a spare if not borrow one.

Same deal with the Ram, but if you have 2 sticks of ram try it with only one in and see if it still happens with just one in. Note if your motherboard only takes RDIMMs then they have to be in pairs so you can't do that for them.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Make sure you have all the latest patches for the game.

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date

Make sure your mobo chipset drivers are up to date

Make sure your windows updates are up to date.

You get the idea.
N/A

Make sure the heatsink for your CPU isn't clogged with dust. I once had a friend who was suffering random crashes/restarts during 3D gaming - all caused by his CPU overheating.

Any idea what wattage your power supply unit is graded at? Some of my friends have mentioned that an under powered PSU causes restarts. This would normally coincide with the addition of new hardware to the machine though (extra hard disk, more powerful graphics card, etc).
Community Veteran

Any idea what wattage your power supply unit is graded at? Some of my friends have mentioned that an under powered PSU causes restarts. This would normally coincide with the addition of new hardware to the machine though (extra hard disk, more powerful graphics card, etc).

Just the extra work done by the cpu and the graphics card in number crunching the data needed for the heavy graphics load can also cause an underpowered machine to crash.
N/A

Yeah my computer kept crashing once when i went on games. I added sum heat condutivity gell and bame working again.
richard-
Grafter

Oh well, im building a new computer Smiley