cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer access from Run menu

N/A

I know there is some way to access a computer on a network via a command line similar to below. $/C:\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where x is the i.p address. Have done it before but can't remember the command
11 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

\\192.168.0.1\
will display all shared items on that workstation? where 192.168.0.1 is the IP address or name of the machine you are accessing.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

cydodimead

Liam's response is fine for published share points. Looking at your original post, I guess you are trying to access the "hidden" admin share points for the root of the disk drive. To do that you need to type the following into the RUN box (does not work in a DOS prompt)...

\\aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd\X$

Where X is the volume (disk) ID.

This will open that disk with file explorer.

Cheers,
Kevin
N/A

I tried last week to do this and failed.

The local workstation was XP Pro and the remote host was XP Home, linked between two PlusNet connections and a working VPN (able to list shares available on the remote system).

However, when trying to access the hidden share //x.x.x.x/C$ it failed. Confirmed using the "net" command in a console as well.

I can't find any reason for this failure.
N/A

Win XP Home does not have the admin shares (<drive letter>$) enabled...
N/A

According to windows itself, it does.

Never mind, I am hoping to shift this over to pro soon anyhow.
N/A

Hm,

A number of other sites (including some MS pages) say it doesn't.

Going to try to dig out the MS one now... I may be gone sometime Wink

Got it:-
"
Hidden administrative shares that are created by the computer (such as ADMIN$ and C$) can be deleted, but the computer re-creates them after you stop and restart the Server service or restart your computer. Hidden shares that are created by users can be deleted, and they are not re-created after you restart your computer.Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition does not create hidden administrative shares."

(My emphassis in bold)

Taken from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314984
N/A

Its a common problem as you cant connect to another pc if the username and password arnt the same as the pc you are trying to connect. On a domain its ok as you have rights accros the domain but not in a workgroup.

Connect by typing

\\net use p: \\computername\c$ password /user:username

The username and password are the admin on the pc you are trying to connect to
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

I tried last week to do this and failed.

when trying to access the hidden share //x.x.x.x/C$ it failed. Confirmed using I can't find any reason for this failure.

Philip,

Do not know if it is of importance, but I noticed that you use forward-slashes above, rather than back-slashes which is the norm for access MS share points.

Cheers,
Kevin
N/A

Thanks for pointing that out. However, I tried with both. I did however use the correct slashes first time, having checked the syntax of "net use" on a console.

As for users and passwords, I tried this. This is one of the reasons I know it was failing.
N/A

do you have the SMB share ports open?
N/A

Not being unkind but given that XP Home does not open the default share points you're not going to get very far whatever you try.

Unless you can get on to the box and either create the default shares (not sure if home will do this - my two windows boxes got upgraded to XP Pro as they came out of the box) or just create a share point at the root of the drive you want to access.