cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete slow down of pc???????

N/A

Right since last week around friday my pc has been going slower. When i connect to the net then double click winamp it starts going slower. Then when the music is playing, i double click browser and the music starts going funny and more slow downs. Also when i start my pc on its slower than normal.I have a pre modded case with two fans on and the side panel has to come off now cause it just crashes. I have scanned for virus spyware and nothing. I think somthing is giving way ie cpu. Any ideas
12 REPLIES
N/A

what are your details? cpu speed/RAM/etc.?

right click on the taskbar, and hit task manager. Sort this first by CPU column, and see if there is anything using a lot of CPU power, then do the same by "mem usage"...it could be that a certain program is hogging all the resources
N/A

1.5 gig ram ddr 400mhz crucial
2100 amd xp
ati 9800 pro graphics
450 watt psu

The cpu usuage is 4 percent currently and in the cpu history there is a high bit and then mainly low. Well hopefully soon i am gonna get a new mb and processor. Was thinking amd 64 3200 939 pin and msi board but not sure which board
N/A

Have you checked to see if you need to defrag HD and also check that virtual memory is set to 1.5x the ammount of RAM you have. Failing this you also need to check registry for redundant entries with something like Registry Mechanic, this also adds to system overhead.
N/A

Well it's not your system specs and if you have checked your CPU usage then it's not something hogging that. Have you got Ad-Aware on or something similar. Slowdowns like that happen a lot of the time because of spyware. Take a look at your background processes in the task manager and if you have a lot 30+ then it's possibly spyware.

Ad-Aware is great at getting rid of that stuff. You may only have 1 or 2 bits on though that are still causing problems, it doesn't have to be a lot. It helps if you know what processes you should expect to see because it makes it easier to spot the suspicious ones.
N/A

Checked adware and spybot nothing what so eva. The other day when the side panel was on and i was play wow. I head this tick noise then wow went off and it says. critcal error sumert or other. Then my pc went to a blue screen. So took the side off again and works normal.
N/A

Checked adware and spybot nothing what so eva. The other day when the side panel was on and i was play wow. I head this tick noise then wow went off and it says. critcal error sumert or other. Then my pc went to a blue screen. So took the side off again and works normal.

Sounds like a cooling issue, have you checked fans in the case are working properly and are not covered in dust?
N/A

Erh there spinnin around ok not loads of dust on them no.

Here a pic of the cpu usage on a simple task

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/gooseuk/cpuusuage.bmp

Not a big pic but i think you can see the percentage
N/A

Is it just playin winamp to get the CPU up that high because if it is then something is not right. I've got a 3200+ XP and it uses around 5% while playing winamp so you shouldn't be all that much higher. Maybe 10-15% at max. If you click the processes tab on the task manager it will show you which application is using what percentage of CPU. That way you can see if it's all one program or something else running in the background.

Also have you changed anything in the BIOS. Is the CPU still recognised at the correct speed and FSB? Could be that it's been set to run slower than it should.
N/A

Nothing changed at all its werid man. Just tested it again and it hits 77 percent when i double click winamp. When i get my laptop money back i will get amd 64 939 pin 3200 and a new mb.
N/A

Sounds like a cooling issue, have you checked fans in the case are working properly and are not covered in dust?

Have you checked which way your fans are blowing? - having all your fans blowing in / sucking out would not be a good configuration - @ my pc i have two front fans sucking in - two rear fans blowing out
N/A

Well i thought i needed some more heat gel. Put some more on and no still the same. I think its just time for a new mb and processor. I no what processor to ger amd 64 939 pin 3200 winchester. But what board HuhHuh
N/A

I'd go with an Asus A8N or an MSI K8N. Either but make sure it has Nforce4 not Nforce3. Both of these have SLI I think so you can do the dual graphic card thing should you want/need to. These are gunna be PCI Express too like a lot of these 939 boards so you're AGP graphics card won't work if you have one.