Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clone PC display to laptop?

henderson1977
Grafter

Hi all

I have a PC with a tv-out VGA graphics card and a laptop but no computer monitor.

Is it possible to display the PC's desktop on the laptop screen? Could I connect a male-to-male VGA cable between the PC and laptop to make it work? But how do I 'clone' the display (specific key combo)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No,

The vga connection on the laptop is for output only, it won't accept an input. You might be able to find some connections and cables that would do it perhaps using video capture though a PC Card in the laptop or USB, but this might not be possible and would probably be more expensive than buying a montor and the quality might not be too good etc etc.

Second hand good condition CRTs are available for about £20 in the local papers and new ones are about £60 these days.

Chris
Denzil
Grafter

You could, in theory, network the two together, then use Remote Desktop to run the PC from the laptop. Beter just to buy a monitor, though!
henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks for prompt reply and useful info guys. For my purposes, I think I'll use denzilsearle's suggestion to Remote Desktop my PC from the laptop. Can't believe I overlooked that 1!

Nice1!

Scott
Community Veteran

Another option to Remote Desktop Protocol is VNC, see;

http://www.ultravnc.com/

Chilly