cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chill Out....

N/A

Chill Out....

I have just upgraded my PC, or more like built a new PC. I have a XP2600, and I was just wondering what temperature should I expect this to run at, it's currently running around 55 degrees, it does not seem to make a difference if its overclocked or running with no tweaks , 55. Is this about right?

Also another sad question, but I have 3 x 80mm case fans, any ideas on the best way yo cool the kit, blowing air in our sucking it out? :roll:

Not really tinkered with hardware before..

Any body help?
53 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Chill Out....

Well, all I can say that may be of any use is that AMD processors can withstand temperatures of about 80C+.

Thomas
N/A

Chill Out....

Thanks Thomas, any over takers, any one running a XP 2600 on a 333 bus?
N/A

Chill Out....

As far as the case fans go : You should usually have 1 intake at the front, one exhaust at the back, the psu fan. You might also want an exhaust fan lined up with the CPU, to remove that hot air, and also possibly one on the top [heat rises Smiley]. Really depends how many fans you want and by how much you intend to overclock.
N/A

Chill Out....

As far as the case fans go : You should usually have 1 intake at the front, one exhaust at the back, the psu fan. You might also want an exhaust fan lined up with the CPU, to remove that hot air, and also possibly one on the top [heat rises Smiley]. Really depends how many fans you want and by how much you intend to overclock.

Great now where cooking Shockedops: , I have 3 case fans, so one at the front and then two exhaust's on the back then!
N/A

Chill Out....

my Athlon XP 2000+ runs at a steady 45C overnight while idle but in the middle of this heat it easily jumps straight to 55C idle and 60C playing games. That is with 2 case fans (one in, one out - both at back) and a £20 heat sink & fan (Zalman FHS). The only way I can get it to run cooler than 40C is actually to *under*clock it (when i first built my comp i had jumpers set wrong and it was running as an Athlon 1400+ or something stupid :?).
My case isn't really good enough for cooling with only one case mounting point Sad
N/A

Chill Out....

Funny you should mention the jumpers, I'm pretty sure that my 2600 is running at 1200Mhz, this is not correct is it?

I have only just go it up and running today, and i'm sure the core is 1200, it should be above 2Ghz should it not? :shock:
N/A

Chill Out....

ive got one sucker and one blower and a great heatsink
N/A

Chill Out....

Funny you should mention the jumpers, I'm pretty sure that my 2600 is running at 1200Mhz, this is not correct is it?

I have only just go it up and running today, and i'm sure the core is 1200, it should be above 2Ghz should it not? :shock:
Something is up there.
N/A

Chill Out....

Oh Bugger.
N/A

Chill Out....

Couple of things to note to you.

The case fan mounted just above the AGP slot, should expel air.

It may also be an idea to locate some bendy plastic, but not the thin stuff, it must be able to flex near enough, back to the original shape.

Crease it in a way, that it will shape around the fan casing. Mount it (use a tiny blob of clear silicone on each side of the fan to make it stick) ove the fan.

it must be long enough to reach into the area around the CPU, but never touch it.

THe idea is to try and drag as much heated air as possible from the case.

This is one of the cheapest things you can do to help cool your system, and will not cost you a bomb, unless you mount it too near the heat, and it melts.

As for it not operating at the right frequency, there are two things to do.

1: Have you made sure you used "restore default" feature in the BIOS. This will purge any oddities that can cause havok.

2: Check the Mobo makers site for a bios update.
N/A

Chill Out....

So if I read that right, form some kind of cone/straw and place at the bottom of the heat sink to suck the air out..

Just checked MSI Link

My FSB is currently set @ 100 and by the looks of that I need to set it to 133/166 as mine is a 333 2600... Cheesy

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Your staff, you should know better Tongue - I have removed the quote, as it was imply a waste]
[Moderators note (by Thomas): Display text added to link, as it was messing up the page layout (at least, for people on 800*600 monitors). Wink ]
N/A

Chill Out....

Thanks for everyones help, perhaps when I get home I may get this sorted.
Community Veteran

Chill Out....

This is the speed your cpu should be running at.
Athlon XP 2600+ *333 FSB* (2.08 GHz)

Most if not all of the modern motherboards for the Athlon have bios that is soft setup for CPU speed.
they also normally boot up at a much lower and default "Safe Speed" the first time you fire it up.
You will need to go in the bios and tell it to work at the proper speed for the cpu.
N/A

Chill Out....

Thanks John, I have spotted the bit in my Bios that allows me to push the FSB up, so I'll have a play when I get home.

PS

You Mods are liked trained Nija's with your chopping! :twisted: