cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkdisk

N/A

Checkdisk

Does anyone have any idea why my pc will no longer run chkdsk after scheduling it on a reboot? Windows just boots up without going through the chkdsk routine. I'm using Win2kPro. It's been fine up to this weekend.
15 REPLIES
N/A

Checkdisk

it only does chkdsk if u 1)ask it 2 or 2) if the computer crashes .. if u want to run it drop to dos and just type chkdsk

buz
N/A

Checkdisk

Thanks buz... up to now it's always worked by requesting it on a reboot in Disk Management but not any more. Win2kPro doesn't seem to have a true DOS environment and judging by all the warnings on the MS site against running chkdsk /f from the DOS comand prompt I'm reluctant to try.
Community Veteran

Checkdisk

it only does chkdsk if u 1)ask it 2 or 2) if the computer crashes .. if u want to run it drop to dos and just type chkdsk

It is possible to force a disk check on reboot. That is how a number of 3rd party disk checkers like norton disk doctor work as they cannot check a mounted NTFS filesystem while it is running.

Sorry rdrake, don't actually have an answer for you. Have you tried searching with google - especially in the google groups. Or on microsofts support search page.
N/A

Checkdisk

Yes I've scoured the MS site and it says a lot about runnning it but not a lot about when it doesn't run! A Google search has thrown up the fact that it seems a common problem.
Community Veteran

Checkdisk

Try the goups search (just click on the groups link on the google seach page). This often brings up answers a normal website search does not.
N/A

Checkdisk

There is no need to have chkdsk run at start up, unless you always shut down improperly.
N/A

Checkdisk

I know... I want to run it because I've been getting quite a few blue screens lately.
N/A

Checkdisk

there are many reasons for blue screens

have u installed any new hardware? such as ram? are u sure ur computer is not overheating (get mother board moniter)

buz
N/A

Checkdisk

Try and cure the BSOD's , that is more important than chkdsk. In fact, all chkdsk will do is close your already corrupted files anyway.
You can set task manager to run chkdsk from within the windows environment and specified intervals, which is better than the DOS startup as it can do it multitask.
Community Veteran

Checkdisk

I thought you could not run chkdsk on a mounted NTFS filesystem - at least in /f fix mode? which is why you schedule it to occur before windows is loaded on the next boot. You can run chkdsk on a FAT/FAT32 filesystems anytime but not NTFS.
N/A

Checkdisk

I thought you could not run chkdsk on a mounted NTFS filesystem - at least in /f fix mode.

True, I was only thinking FAT. The system will shut down and restart to run chkdsk with NTFS. With NTFS you cannot use taskman to schedule chkdsk runs for that reason.
N/A

Checkdisk

Thursday January 22, 2004 9:18 PM

Registry entry *before* forcing ChkDsk:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
autocheck autochk *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registry entry *after* forcing ChkDsk:

autocheck autochk /p \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

Registry entry *after* forcing ChkDsk with a surface-scan:

autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

If you want to set this up so that it does this every boot, copy the following quote to a file named "Force ChkDsk on Boot.CMD" and stick it in your "Startup" folder:

Reg.Exe ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v "BootExecute" /t "REG_MULTI_SZ" /s "&" /d "autocheck autochk /p \??\C:&autocheck autochk *" /f

On each reboot, the specified drive C will be scanned. (not surface-scanned however... for that you will need to replace the "/p" parameter with a "/r") To add an additional drive, simply duplicate the line above, except that you'd change the "C:" to "D:" or "E:" or "X:" and so on. BE SURE that you do not specify a drive that is non-existant... less you may BSOD the system. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL about how you modify the "BootExecute" parameter!!! "Last Successful Configuration" on the F8 bootloader menu may be your only option for getting back in your system.
N/A

Checkdisk

BRILLIANT!!! Thanks..... Smiley
N/A

Checkdisk

UPDATE!!!

If anyone has been having problems doing a chkdsk routine on reboot (like I have) AND you have ZoneAlarm Pro installed, I'll bet you have just upgraded to ZAP version 5. Try uninstalling and reinstalling v4.45 and it'll work fine. Look on the ZAP forum for further info.