cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap Laptops

LiamM
Grafter

Cheap Laptops

Anyone know anywhere to buy very cheap, but well built, brand new, and warranted laptops?

My girlfriend is looking at getting one for Uni, it only needs to be very basic, but price is rather important.

I have been looking at Dell, who have them starting at £440, which is quite good. Just wondering if anyone knew anywhere else I could look at?

A couple of weeks ago their basic model started at £329 but this has now been discontinued.

Suggestions?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Cheap Laptops

A gamer friend in the states was offering a whole bunch of older laptops to clan buds. Ranged from a couple of old 500's to 2.2's. But no waranties I'm afraid, and as I said he is in the states, so why the hell did I reply? Shockedops: lol sry Liam Smiley
BTW he ended up giving the 500's away :shock: Damn!!! Sad I should have offered him the shipping costs! Oh well.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Cheap Laptops

N/A

Cheap Laptops

GHet her to contact her Student Union.

Many Uni's have a partnship with some companies that deal with laptop rentals. In many cases, they may also deal with sales too.

I know they have it in Liverpool Uni, with a company that partners with Dell.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Cheap Laptops

GHet her to contact her Student Union.

Many Uni's have a partnship with some companies that deal with laptop rentals. In many cases, they may also deal with sales too.

I know they have it in Liverpool Uni, with a company that partners with Dell.
How do you know about that? It's only due to be launched in September, and there is still no garuntee that it will be Dell. Rental for the full duration of the course is still likely to be very un-economical.

Phil
N/A

Cheap Laptops

Mainly due to the fact I applied for a job, and went to a agency interview regarding a job (still looking for work if they are interested).

I was lead to believe that they are already established at what they do. Both by word of mouth and the price sheets I had been shown at the time.
LiamM
Grafter

Cheap Laptops

Just as an update... ordered this...

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_237930.html

Bargain in my opinion. Couldn't find anywhere to beat anything like that.

I only needed something basic, but it needed to be new, and it needed a warranty.

Would have liked a Dell, but I rang them to ask if they could match it and they said no.

Still, Acer are none too shabby indeed.

Student Union were of no help whatsoever btw.
holdtight
Grafter

Cheap Laptops

Thats a good choice Liam you wont find better at that price Cheesy

my laptop which is an Asus has an identical spec sheet to that one apart
from ive upgraded the memory to 384 and it just flies along, i would say there identical
apart from looks and im very happy with the performance of mine,
you will be pleasantly surprised too Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

Cheap Laptops

Yeah. This is for my girlfriend, she only really needed something to do her work on, use the internet, play music, perhaps watch DVDs. Nothing too powerful.

I am, however, going to upgrade the RAM to 512Mb.

My own machine is an Athlon XP-M 2800 with 512Mb RAM, 80Gb HDD, though I dont use it much now as it's kocked about. I'm going to be looking at getting a Dell Latitude X1 when I'm 18 on Finance lol.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Cheap Laptops

Liam,

This might be too late for you, but it will be of interest to others. I got a laptop for my girlfirend through the national higher education laptop agreement (she's on a home correspondence course).

http://www.getech.co.uk/education/lupc.htm provides details. Last year I bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro A60 with Win XP PROFESSIONAL for a tad over £700 - i.e. about £100 cheaper than anywhere else.

Cheers,
Kevin
N/A

Cheap Laptops

How do you know about that? It's only due to be launched in September, and there is still no garuntee that it will be Dell. Rental for the full duration of the course is still likely to be very un-economical.

I thought this was fairly common knowledge. I remember being asked for our views on it when I was there about 2 years ago. I'm not sure whether we were ever offered prices though.

Eddy
LiamM
Grafter

Cheap Laptops

Just to let you know, the system arrived earlier on today (8am - early Comet Service) and i think it's marvellous. Considering the price, it is exceptionally good build quality, bundled software is good and the system seems very reliable as well as being nice and speedy.

Well done Acer! And Comet!

I see this one is still in stock and still £399 on Comet.co.uk. If I had the money I'd have one for myself also, but I've spent all my money on this, for the girlfriend, for her birthday.