Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Hard Drives?

Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Changing Hard Drives?

*deep breath*

I bought anew 250Gb SATA hd before Xmasas I thought my 80Gb internal was kaput.. My pc is not SATA compatible Sad so I bought a PCI SATA card & lead. My 80Gb drive is not kaput, so I've decided to buy an external USB case for the 250 SATA drive.

Question: Will the drive work as a USB SATA external drive with the PCI card installed, or will I have to install it internally and connect it directly to the PCI card with the new lead?
*Phew*

TIA

Dave
8 REPLIES
N/A

Changing Hard Drives?

There is currently little difference between ATA and SATA drives other than the connections.

Why did you buy an external usb case and an internal pci card? one would have been sufficient.

You will get better transfer speeds if you use the internal pci card. Spare disks can be mounted in 3 1/2" bays or 5 1/4" bays with an adapter.

If you have no internal space then just plug your external drive into a usb2 port. Windows doesn't care if its ATA or SATA.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Changing Hard Drives?

I haven't actually bought the Ext. case yet but I have been told that it is the only way I can get this to work

I have a spare space in the Hard Drive "caddy" that's inside the pc, but the fixing holes (in the spare slot only) have rubber grommets that don't allow the standard fixing srews to grip them, and I was told that longer ones are not available (which seems to bear out upon searching for longer ones)

I already have an 80Gb ATA drive in an external USB2 case, so if what you are saying is right, I could swap the Ext 80gig for the SATA 250gig. Right?

I'd actually prefer the drives to be external, as I have a laptop which requires access to them on occasions. Does this mean that I shouldn't need the SATA PCI card? Could I just use the SATA drive as USB2? My laptop is not SATA compliant either :-(

Thanks so very much for your reply

Dave

N/A

Changing Hard Drives?

I already have an 80Gb ATA drive in an external USB2 case, so if what you are saying is right, I could swap the Ext 80gig for the SATA 250gig. Right?

Your existing usb drive will not have a sata connection (and may not have room inside for adapter cables) so you may have to buy a sata compatible usb external drive.
holdtight
Grafter

Changing Hard Drives?

Its going to be a lot easier (and cheaper) to find a way of installing your drive inside your pc where it should be and connect it to your pci sata card

theres always a way around these glitches and im sure that you will be able to have a re-arrange inside your case to get this drive in

can the rubber grommets be removed ? they must be there for a reason what case is it ?
and if its a standard internal 3.25 drive bay your drive will go into it one way or another
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Changing Hard Drives?

The grommets do come out, but the hole that they leave is too big for the screws to have any effect. The existing drive is in a caddy which holds 2 drives (well, one really as the 2nd won't fit!)

It's a Mesh computer case that is exactly 3 years old.

Dave...happy with the service..so far
N/A

Changing Hard Drives?

I Think i know the type of screw your after Cheesy

Apart from perhaps takin a screw down to your local pc shop (not pcworld or the likes tho as they'd proabably go "eh what?"

Thin flat head with about 4mm solid then 4mm thread Sound like the ones?
if you still need em i have some here that are spare Smiley
N/A

Changing Hard Drives?

the SATA drive will not be compatible with an IDE (ATA) external USB case as the case will have an EIDE connector not sata...

However, AFAIK you can get a converter to allow you to connect a SATA drive to an ATA cable which *may* work but will quite likely not fit inside the usb case along with the hard drive, but seeing as you haven't bought the external usb case yet I wouldn't bother.

Regarding external drives...
SATA is external OR internal. One connector supplies power AND data xfer, plus it *should* be hot swappable. Does the SATA PCI card have connectors on the backplate ? or only connectors on the inside of the card ? As long as it does you shouldn't actually need an external SATA case. You can buy them though and they should be cheap as there is actually no requirement for and electronic wizardry (eg the ATA to USB conversion required for an ATA device)

If you wanna stick with USB you could get a SATA USB case.

I am 99% sure that cases also exist that have SATA AND USB connectors so that if you take it somewhere that doesn't have a SATA connector you can use USB, but if they do have SATA you can plug right in.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Changing Hard Drives?

The SATA card does not have any connectors at the back - only internal.

I have an 80Gb ATA drive in an external case at the Mo' and the case is, apparently, SATA/ATA capable.

I really would prefer to have the 250G SATA drive internally fitted.Thanks for the reply.

Dave