cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed my CPU to a 4400x2, help please.

N/A

Just changed the CPU temps seem ok CPU33, PWMIC49/50 and Chipset41. However, how do I see if both cores are recognised by my system?? I am running XP pro. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
N/A

On my windows machine: System Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Processors.... (shows 2) whether thats a bug or because it's recognising them individually though I have no idea ;o)
N/A

Mine shows 2 also, thanks. However, if I try to run super_pi twice on the second program I get "non convergent in SQR05 ? It should run both programs if both cores were being used?Huh
N/A

My memory of comp architecture is getting dusty but as far as I remember: A dual cpu or dual core system is not the same as a parallel one. The parallel computer would run the program seperately on each individual processor.

On a dual CPU though, each program is given a portion of CPU time to themselves. I.e. both CPU's are responsible for processing the single programs instructions. This means that now and again, 2 instructions are processed at the same time. Not all the time however. Whenever ther's a big decision to be made inside the program, one of the CPU's has to wait for the other one to work out what to do. (It can do other stuff while it's waiting)

There's a theorem somewhere that details this and also explains why a dual cpu system isn't "twice as fast." (Because half the time the second CPU is waiting for something from the first one).

It's a little more complicated than that these days because CPU's try some nifty things to optimise speed but that's roughly how it works.
N/A

Sorted thanks, you have to have 2 copies of the program for it to run on each core, works a treat now. However, I am using the DFI lanparty UT NF4 PCI-express and temps are getting high, CPU 32 idle, chipset 39 idle but the PWMIC is 46 idle and can get to 56 when in use??, seems very high to me.
N/A

thats average, high would be 70s
N/A

AFAIK A64's dont like to go above 60 so your temps are fine, nothing to worry about.