cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralizing Anti Virus Protection On A LAN

Firejack
Grafter

I have a Linux Server, Windows Server, and three Windows XP clients. Is there any way to protect all the machines on the network without needing to install, configure, update and admin an Anti Virus program on each machine?

Cheers.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Yes & No.

Central AV can only do tasks like scan internet traffic for virus related activity coming in and out of your netowkr. Including things like Viruses sending e-mails, receiving, some downloads (http or ftp in some cases).

What they can't do is fix the virus, only stop it in its tracks.

There is also the much bigger problem of floppy disks, CDs, ZIP and USB dangle drives (offline media).

Not all viruses have internet based properties. Some trash your files or otherwise render your system of no use, one even made such changes you system was only fit for the bin.

If you can on of these from offline media, then no ammount of centralised scanning will help.

Also note, that even viruses obtained from offline media, but do have internet based properties won't be stopped. Yes, a central scanner will prevent it from reaching the internet, but not stop it from running on the system.

There are solutions like AVG7 Network Licence, where you have copies of AVG running on each system, and use a central Database to monitor when system perform tests, schedual tests and updates and get warnings about viruses. however, these are geared businesses.
Firejack
Grafter

I feared that would be the case. Seems now I'll have to fork out on some new Anti Virus software for each machine. Anyone got any recommendations?
I'm currently using the home edition of Norton AV. No sure if this is suitable for Windows Server though. And how about Linux? Seen a couple of Linux viruses posted on Virus Watch sites.
N/A

nortons Corperate AV (symantec antivirus) features client / server features, this allows u to install a client (small) to all the windows boxes and run the server (alson quite small) on the main box. this will then dl the updates and distribute them throught the lan, can do startup / scheduled scans on boxes on the lan and can basicaly admin all the checkers from the snapin for the server. takes about 10 mins to set up but works great Smiley.. linux.. just dont run as root and most will not effect you
Firejack
Grafter

Shame the corperate version is wayyyy out my price range. Looks ideal Cool
N/A

Take a look at AVG7 network licence.

It's standard AVG7, with a network communications plugin to provide the centralised management.

It is supplied with its own TCP/IP server, but can alternatly use MySQL as the Database (plus others).
N/A

pay? :p