cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Case ports and sound card.

N/A

I have purchased a new case (Super Flower) awful name I know, but it's well built. The reason I chose it was because it had some ports on the front, especially a headphone and microphone jack, which my Sound Blaster 4.1 speakers do not have.. The problem is how to connect these ports up to a Sound Blaster 4.1 sound card
There are 5 cables coming from these two case ports and 3 internal inputs on the sound card as per the diagram.
It's not really that crucial to get the rear speakers signal to the headphone socket, but as far as I can work out there are only inputs and no internal outputs on the card.
If it can't be done there is on board 6.1 sound available, should there be a suitable pin out somewhere on the motherboard?
Any ideas how to go on anybody, or should I replace the sound card for one with suitable connectors.
Thanks

5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

You cannot connect these wires to your soundcard. It does indeed only have internal inputs(CT4750 at a guess). They need to be connected to a header on your mobo. You will usually have to remove a jumper to connect these wires, and you will lose output from rear sound jacks. You would also have to enable on board sound and install drivers. In theory, you should be able to do this and leave Creative card in.

Alternatively, you could route these wires out of the back of the case and convert to 3.5mm jack sockets and plug these into the soundcard.

Or you could simply route extension leads from soundcard to wherever is convenient for you to plug into.
N/A

Thanks for the fast reply, changing the connectors for jack plugs and plugging them in to the sound card means firkin about round the back of the case when swapping between speakers and headphones, as plugging in the speakers to the front case ports is an untidy solution. Do you know if a sound card with the correct internal connections exists?
Thanks
N/A

Does the SB card have a Audio extention block at the rear of the card?

Older SoundBlasters had a built in IDE interface block. These days, it has been scrapped in favour of an audio exnteion block for such things as SPDIF IN/OUT, MIDI IN/OUT jumpers on a second rad connector.

These are however, items for seperate purchase.

That being said, you can usualy find the pin-outs (if the card has them) on the net.

There are a few pages on the net, dedicated to using this interface. Pinouts and requirments to use them can be found on sites like THIS

There are some greate resources out there if you want to look. Searches on google include "Soundblaster AUD_EXT" "Soundblaster AUD_EXT ADC"
N/A

i know these connections and have tried them with several onboard connectors to bad resolution....seems to be they dont match properly...i have yet to scrap the thing to work out what the =5v mic lead does.... :roll:
what smithclan says makes a lot of sense....i have done this myself....if you want just a switch between the two, you are gonna have to build it.
N/A

Thanks for your replies guys, I have assembled a box of switch's to swap between headphones and speakers, quite a neat job as well. Introduced some nice 'pops' when switching. It will do for now though, as I intend to change the sound card some time in the future as this one only supports a sort of pseudo EAX.
Thanks again.