cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Case Fan Air?

N/A

Case Fan Air?

Hi.

Ive installed 2 fans in my computer at the back, no mater which way i put them they still seem to blow more air in the case than out, which is what i want to kick the hot air out of the pc, any suggestions? also my cpu temps dont seem to have dropped much by installing these 2 fans, as the system hot air was casusing the cpu temps to be higher than normal.
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Case Fan Air?

Can you fit a fan at the front near the bottom. If so this must suck air into the case. The other one can be located at the back and should suck air out of the case - your PSU fan will also be sucking air out. You need to get a positive pressure inside your case with air moving from the bottom front to the top back (which is where your PSU probably is). Also if possible make sue the fan at the back is as near to the CPU heatsink fan as possible.

You problem is there may be too many fans sucking air out and none sucking air in so there is no fresh air circulation within the case to allow the hot air to be removed.

To find out which direction the air is moving use a small piece of paper and place it hear trhe fan, you can then see if it is sucking or blowing air towards the paper. SOme fans even have a direction of flow arrow on the side.
N/A

Case Fan Air?

Thanks for this, the piece of paper idea sounds good, yeah i have stuck 2 fans at the back of the case and i have the heatsink on the CPU, and the power supply, really all sucking out of the case, theres nowhere at the front to put a fan also there is no vent holes so much not be designed for that. this is my results now though are these ok to work with??

Before back fans was placed temp was CPU idle 59c-60c , load 65c-68c
Before back fans was placed temp for system was 40c idle , 45c load

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With fans placed , CPU idle 50c-51c
System temp , 33c

Haven't tried this system under load yet with the fans.

System is...

3200+ barton CPU

P.s i never did get my bios to pick the mem up as pc3200 still on pc2700 Cry
Community Veteran

Case Fan Air?

Are the new fans at the back next to each other or is one at the top and one at the bottom. If the latter, make the bottom one suck air in and the top one blow it out.

You may neeed to drill some wholes in the case to allow more air in.

Idle temps are fine but they will probably get too hot under load. What are you using to load the CPU?
N/A

Case Fan Air?

Yeah i was thinking of some way to get vents in the case as there isn't any and i find that quite stupid as every case needs air holes, well lastnight i took the heatsink and fan off rubbed all the thermal off the heatsink and cpu and just put abit on the cpu as i was told not to put any on the heatsink itself. im going to open the case in a minute and do that trick with the paper to see if there sucking or blowing, i think both are sucking air out though, they are both next to each other, what i will do is put the top one for sucking and the bottom for blowing air in, will i achieve this by turning the fan the opposite way round?
Community Veteran

Case Fan Air?

If both fans are together then you are wasting your time switching them to different directions. Any air sucked in by one will just be blown straight out again by the other above or below it and no air will circulate within the case so it will achieve nothing.

The best you can do is use a single fan, fit it in the position closest to the CPU (i.e. the ame hight) and set it so it sucks in air. Then leave the PSU fan to blow out the hot air.
N/A

Case Fan Air?

Mmmmm, ok i will try that but when i put the 1 fan in the case the idle temp was 57c, when i put the 2 in it went down to 51c so must of done something, whats the best way of putting the cpu under load to see what temps are like afterwards? also what would be a good temp to have under load?, also is there any CPU benchmarks out there so i can see how this CPU is performing.?
Community Veteran

Case Fan Air?

Use prime95 in test mode to task your processor.

If you get 51C with your previous fan setup then stick with that, but it will probably be too hot when under load. Are you using your duron heatsink or the one designed for XP3200+?

You should always aim for 50C when under load but that may not be possible with your current setup and may need a more expensive or better CPU heaksink & fan.

I does sound like you case is not very good for cooling the setup you now have.

Try SiSoft Sandra for benchmarking, it's free.
N/A

Case Fan Air?

well as i keep coming back to the cpu, the 3200+ seems to be a very hard cpu to get down, people have bought the 2500+ because of the high temperatures that the 3200+ gives off, if you google the cpu you will find afew posts from people that have bought it, i personally think 51c idle is good, as my old setup at my parents home was a amd athlon xp 1.6ghz and that ran at about 55c under load and bout 50c idle. i still haven't tested this under load so will go do that. Whats a decent temperature to have underload with my temps being 51ish idle.

P.s i have that Sandra software and i dont seen anywhere on it to benchmark the cpu.?
Community Veteran

Case Fan Air?

I always keep my systems @ or under 50C under full load (that usually equates to 35->40C when idle) and that is what most people will recommend. I run a distributed cancer research project 24/7 on an XP2800+ overclocked to 2.275GHz (normally runs at 2GHz) and even when it was hot it topped out at 51C.

If you can't achieve that then as low as possible with your config but anything approching 60C full load is a worry.

I currently have sandra 2004 installed and the CPU benchmark is under the Benchmarking modules section of the main Sandra selection page.
N/A

Case Fan Air?

thanks for this info i will let you know what the cpu temp is when i have put it underload, at the moment its on 54c, it goes up and down from 52c, the system temp is on 35c is that ok? is the AMD Barton 3200+ fast?. as ive just put the benchmark on it and it doesn't seem very impressive.

P.s how do you start this prime95 ive launched the .exe but dont see any start buttons.?
Community Veteran

Case Fan Air?

the XP3200+ is the fastest barton processor there is. Only the FX-51 & FX-53 are faster and the 64bit version of course.

What results are you getting? and what does it compare to on the sandra comparison devices?

For mine on the CPU Arithmetic Benchmark, , I get Dhrystone ALU 9427 MIPS and Whetstone FPU 3580 MFLOPS.

Yours should be slightly lower as your processor runs at 2.2GHz.
N/A

Case Fan Air?

Next to current cpu it says...

Dhrystone ALU 8961 MIPS
Whetstone FPU 3445 MFLOPS

Is that good as i haven't a clue what they are or what that means? also how do you start that prime95.?
Community Veteran

Case Fan Air?

Yep, they match the processor your have. On the page where that is you can select the XP3200 processor to compare with on one of the other selections below it.

To run prime95 in to test your CPU, download the zip file and unzip to a directory. Run the prime95 app in the zip directory, select options menu then select the torture test. Accept the default option (blend) then click OK and the test will start.

To stop it just right click over te tray icon and select stop or exit If it hangs then you have a problem, possibly due to overheating but possibly caused by something else.

Your system performance will be very sluggish when it's running.
N/A

Case Fan Air?

looks like this prime95 wont work for any cpu's over 50c, when i put CPU Idle on which a cheat way of lowering the cpu when its idle , cpu went to 44c, and prime95 worked, when i took it off and cpu went to 54c idle the program reported back hardware failure immediately.

P.s just played a game for about 15min then the pc knocked me out looked at temps and the cpu was on 59c and the system was on 36c, think it was because of the cpu temp why it knocked me out. dont think i am ever gonna get this sorted, might aswell knock for FSB down to 333 and run the cpu at 2500+ dont get temp problems then as its decreased by 15c. Cry Any more suggestions as im lost now... also what cpu are you running?