cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view web sites...

N/A

Cannot view web sites...

Hi, i have a small problem that i am not experienced enough to fix...i Have windows xp and a binatone 500 adsl modem...i can dial up to my isp and it says that i am connected, however when i try and load a web page i get a ...page cannot be displayed message....i have disabled my internal modem, also i have ping the dns server ip address and its ok....my connections say that i am connected...however i cannot visit the internet...i believe its something trivial...i have tried help and support for internet explorer and that cannot help me.. i have also disabled my firewall...and disabled norton...can anyone help me...it would be much appericiated...

many thanks

The Rookie
7 REPLIES
N/A

Cannot view web sites...

If you enter ipconfig /all at a command prompt, what gets shown as the DNS servers?

If no entries are shown, try configuring 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50.
N/A

Cannot view web sites...

In adition, have you got XP Service Pack 1 or 1a installed?

If not, this sounds like a possible suspect.

There apparently should be two MS hot fixes on the modem disk that deal with the specific problem, however, SP1/1a have addressed the issue further , so should be installed anyway/
N/A

Cannot view web sites...

If you enter ipconfig /all at a command prompt, what gets shown as the DNS servers?

If no entries are shown, try configuring 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50.

i have ping the ip address for the dns servers on command prompt!!! and also i have reinstalled the windows xp service pack 1....everything was workin fine on my pc until recently...the modem works fine on my laptop...hence how im able to communicate...currently on the net.
N/A

Cannot view web sites...

What happens, though, if instead of ping 212.159.13.49, you try ping pth-cdns-01.plus.net?

Does it still work?

If it does, then DNS is not your problem.

If it doesn't, then you need to look at your DNS configuration.
N/A

Cannot view web sites...

What happens, though, if instead of ping 212.159.13.49, you try ping pth-cdns-01.plus.net?

Does it still work?

yes it doese connects to the dns server....but gets timed out when i ping anywhere else. I might of changed something on internet explorer. A few days ago i uninstalled AOL 7.0 als AOL start up could this be something to do with it.?.......its all been working fine until recently.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quote UBBC tag fixed for you.]
N/A

Cannot view web sites...

So, if you were to ping www.google.co.uk ( or ping 216.239.59.99 it would time out?

What about a tracert www.ggogle.co.uk? What does that show?

And a pathping www.google.co.uk?
N/A

Cannot view web sites...

ok...ill give that a go..and see what happens.....thanks