cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot run an executeable

N/A

After haveing problems includeing not being able to install anything and browser being hijacked I decided to fdisk and re-install Windows XP. Clean installation went OK. SP2 went in OK. Trying to install MB drivers failed. Tryig to install antivirus software, it all starts then closes down installation. Exactly the same symptoms before I did the clean install. I first thought the problem was connected with one error message from Instashield saying RPC not available, but looking at progs running as far as i can see, it is running.
Any thoughts anyone.
Other info which may be important Abit NF7-S2 mother board
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Is your boot disk a SATA drive and are there any PATA hard drives installed.
The reason for asking is that due to an XP install foible even though you tell it to install on the SATA drive it still puts some files on the PATA drive.
If this is the case I would suggest disconnecting the other hard drives and installing XP on the SATA drive again.
N/A

Nope, the one and only drive is not SATA. This is a pretty standard comuter. Was working OK for a period of time. I suspected a virus so a clean installation I hoped would get rid of this prob and any others
Community Veteran

I wonder if it could have been something hiding in the MBR?
You say you ran fdisk before reinstalling, but did you run "fdisk /mbr" as well?

Other than above, if you have found a repeat of the probs after fdisk, repartition and fresh install, then I would be looking to strip the machine down, and clean everything. Then rebuild making sure everything seats nicely. Following this I think a good long stress testing of the components [especially memory] would be my next step before attempting another install.
N/A

The RPC Server not available error is connected with Windows Services,

Have a look and make sure the DCom Service Process Launcher is started/running.

You can find this information by going to your Start Menu > Hit the "Run..." text and type in the new window that opens "msconfig", then push enter.

Once the window loads click the services tab and locate the DCom line and see if its enabled or not. It could also I think be another service, best way is to tick them one at a time and keep testing for the error.

Good luck Wink
N/A

RPC shutting down is the Worm you have been infected. Did you connect to the net before putting on sp2 and AV?

Reformat again first do a fdisk /mbr from a windows disk or fixmbr from the windows recovery consol.

Do not connect to the internet until you have installed sp2 and AV
N/A

I never got as far as connecting to the net as I could not install the drivers for the wireless card to get to the router. But fear not, AV software is first and foremost. About a year back my son installed XP on his computer and I told him to install AV software before he did anything else. 2 hours later he came to me and said that his comuter keeps shutting down. Yes, he did not do as I suggested and it took 20 mins to get hit.
I did not know about the /mbr switch on fdisk. I will try that, after all I really enjoy watching paint dry as XP installs. Thinking back, something I did notice, when fdisk had run and then XP wanted to format the drive it reported the partition but also a very small area which was not available. Never noticed this before but there again I have not been really looking previosly as everything has always gone OK.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I must admit it is a bit deflateing when I wanted to sort my youngest sons computer out, at long last, and just got nowhere.
N/A

This is simply a case I think of partition magic clearing all partitions as one. You can get cover disks with partition programs and there are free variants on the net!

I have, once before, installed xp on a brand new drive with a new mobo etc, and it failed to format on 99%. With deduction, I worked out that the ide cable had in fact died. Not a simple one to work out when you are in a rush to build a pc to do external support!

http://partitionlogic.org.uk/

Check that out as it is genuinely free!

It is also possible your hard drive is developing faults. A solid run through of spinrite might help but maybe we are getting too technical here. Run through that partition program, then when you install xp next time (just to be on the safe side) format the normal way not Quick mode.

My pennysworth - I'm sure one of us will get you there in the end! Oh and get the firewall installed before getting on the net too as antivirus alone will not stop trojans and malware etc.
N/A

Actually my AV is the Mcafee internet suite so Firewall gets installed at same time. When I get going that is, hopefully tonight.
N/A

Well mate can you let us know how you get on? I HOPE it is good news unlike those people that thought the Germany v Italy game was wonderful. they are blinkered - it was absolutely tedious and not worthy of a semi final!!

If you want to see what football really is, download the Confederation Cup final from last year (when Brazil showed hunger) against argentina and you will know what i mean!!!

Anyway mate, hardware does die - it is unfortunate - we have all been there - I just HOPE this time you have NOT got that problem!
N/A

All seems to have gone OK now. Did a fdisk /mbr and re-installed. SP2 is in, McAfee is in, video drivers etc. I now have to get a new usb wirless device as it looks as if my son has bent it and it no longer works, he will have to wait a couple of days whilst I get one. Thanks to all who helped.