cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use my phone dialer

N/A

In order to install my USB ADSL modem on my PC I had to upgrade "to a more stable OS", ie. from W98 to W2K. That's when the trouble started. Lost passwords etc but all sorted out now APART from an inability to dial out using either my Address Book or Phone Dialer. It sounds as if it might be dialing but the poor recipient on the other end just gets a blank noiseless response and so do I. I presume I have something set up wrong in my Connections but it is all quite embarassing and I have to resort to finger dialing. What a come-down! Please get me into the 21st century.
Brooke
7 REPLIES
N/A

You will find you can't dial out through adsl. to dial out through your computer you will need a standard modem fot this purpose only. the modem will have to be connected to you phone line as is your phone

harry.g
N/A

Phone Dialing again

Thanks, I did as you suggested and it worked - once. Next time I got either just noise or messages of catastrophic failure or "please hang up and try again". Maybe I'm overloading the telephone circuit - too much REN etc. Is there such a thing as a REN-booster or am I fated to unplugging another phone in the house if I want to use speed dialing etc?
Community Veteran

Yes, it can be boosted up to 12, however this will have an adverse effect on your ADSL, i.e. make it stop working. They are also expensive and hard to come by.

REN generally just stops the ringer from ringing properly as this is when the power over the line is at it's highest, how many devices do you have connected to your line?

It might be you are hearing the BT bird for some other problem in your setup.

Chris
N/A

Rather than a REN booster, there is another option, though not cheap Tongue

If you are getting failures, have you made sure your modem is going through a ADSL splitter/filter, and is on the filter portion of it?

If not, then this may be your issue. The modem, is classed as a analogue device, and is subject ot filtering, just like your phone.

Should you want to boost your REN, without the issue fo DSL disruption, purchase a smallscale PBAX.
N/A

All a bit sad really. One of the downsides of ADSL perhaps? I've only got three phones on this line - and then the modem. I must admit that the computer and phone are at the end of the line of phones and the extension lead is rather long - but ADSL works fine so I assumed that . . .
Oh well, lets try shortening that extension.
Thanks all.
N/A

4 devices should run fine, without REN issues.

I currently have DSL, 2 phones, 2 modems, Sky and Tivo hooked up without REN issues.
N/A

Phone dialing

Thanks all. I think it is down to me now.