cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create dial-up connection after re-installing XP

N/A

I have had to re-install XP Pro and when I try to re-create my dial-up connections XP doesn't give me the option to do so. It only allows me to create an 'always on' broadband connection. Can anyone help?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I assume you mean connections though your normal modem?
If so check that it is installed correctly and possibly reinstall it if it's corrupt for some reason or hasn't installed when you set XP up.

Chris
N/A

No, the modem is working correctly as far as XP is concerned.
N/A

use the portal and get the INS file and see if that works you save it to your hd and double click and it sets it up for you.
N/A

I've tried that. It didn't work. I'll post later to say what error I get as I'm at work just now.
N/A

I don't quite understand what the problem is.

First, you need to make sure the drivers for the modem are in and active.

After this, you should be able to use the "Create new connection" wizzard, located in the "Network connections" control panel.

In here, select

a: "Connect to internet"
b: "Setup my connection manualy"
c: "Connect using dialup modem"

Fill in the values. The wizzard may refuse some values, however, these can be changed later, so use fake values, just to get past the wizzard.

After this, you may need to adjust the properties of the connection, and / or modem, to allow it to connect.
N/A

The problem is that the 1st 2 options on setup connection manually are blanked out and only the 3rd option 'Always on broadband connection' is selectable.
N/A

It sounds like you may have installed the wrong drivers.

Have you made sure the modem is listed in the "Phone and modem" control panel?
N/A

Yes, both my 56k modem and my ADSL modem are installed and functioning. The ADSL modem has it's green light on and is trained and idle. But I still can't select the options I want.