cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help

N/A

Can someone help

Hello folks
Ex AOL user here and not that hot with a pc to be honest.
ok got shot of AOL and i think most of the bits that go with that isp but i am not too sure if i have. Now this is the bit that i hope you wil be able to help.
To start off I am using a belkin modem/router and using wireless on my pc works great untill now.
Now and again i get this box popping up asking me to connect to the internet dial-up connection but i am already connected but it will not let me use the web unless i click on connect.
Then it starts to dial usin the internal modemHuh??
It was asking for aol dialer but i got shot of that but did i do somethign wrong by doin that .
Anyway can anyone offer a bit of adviice on here or by email
Ta very much
4 REPLIES
N/A

Can someone help

Hi,

If you are using Internet Explorer go to Tools, Internet options, Connections. Ensure that the option to Never dial a connection is selected.

That should sort it.
MarkAngel
Grafter

Can someone help

It sounds to me like your wireless is dropping connection (because of interference/too far away, etc), and your PC is trying its best to get the connection back, using what is available.

I think pcsni has the right idea, by changing you IE settings.

But unless you are going to use it, I would remove your modem (assuming its not on the Motherboard, then just disable it). I was sceptical about doing this when I went to Boradband, but unless it is for use on something specific its just a waste on space and resources.

Good luck.

Mark
N/A

Help

Thanks folks for your help
i will keep an eye on what is going on over the next few days
Many thanks again for your help I a very greatfull
N/A

Can someone help

There's also a chance you've got naughty dialer apps on your system. Check your network and dial up entries for suspicious ones, and make sure the phone numbers are correct.