cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help me?

N/A

Can someone help me?

I was farting about with firewalls, had a go at installing Kerio on the recommendation of people somewhere, but found it a pain to use. I was on ZoneAlarm but then someone pointed out that my router was more than efficient at doing the job.

The thing is, ever since I messed about with the firewalls, my PC tends to just lock and die after a while. Sad

I'm running out of ideas as to what it could be. Have been uninstalling programs that I had been putting on after my last known good date to no avail. Getting suspicious that messing around with firewalls has left something behind that is causing things to hang.

Can anyone recommend any troubleshooting options? Also, can anyone tell me of a good registry cleaner so I can make sure that I don't have any leftover rubbish causing me problems.

Mah.
16 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Can someone help me?

I found the same with Kerio and am now on Zonealarm with no probs at all.
I use CrapCleaner to get rid of stuff left behind and it seems to do the job.
It's free.

I would keep a software firewall as well, to monitor the applications sending stuff out rather than watching what comes in.
N/A

Can someone help me?

Thanks! I will give this a try! Running out of ideas now.

If this doesn't help, its fresh install time.

If THAT doesn't help, then I reckon its overheating. Strange thing is, I've not been having this in months of using.
Alecto
Grafter

Can someone help me?

C Cleaner also has a "sort out issues" facility where it looks for links and pointers that point to the wrong place and clears them up, so that may help too
N/A

Can someone help me?

I've just had a mate tell me that this program is a life saver!
Failing that, I'll do a system rollback. If THAT fails, its a fresh install it seems!
Community Veteran

Can someone help me?

Hey gemsi.

If you have no luck with that cleaner, and you susspect it may be down to overheating (and indeed it could!) then if I was you, I would check this before going the re-install route! Can you imagine how annoyed you would be if after a full install it remained, only for you to find the cpu heatsink clagged with dust? Wink
N/A

Can someone help me?

Apparently there is some sort of AMD cool and quiet tool. I'm going to give that a go. I'll also have a good blow around inside the booger too!
N/A

Can someone help me?

Cleaner has worked so far!

I'll hold fire on sticking Nero back on but it looks good!

Thanks!
psk10
Grafter

Can someone help me?

Id never heard of Crap cleaner , after reading about it i downloaded it and was very impressed went from 65% to 73 % freespace in about a minute .Great progam Thanks.
Alecto
Grafter

Can someone help me?

Yes, Great Program, shame about the Name. Tongue
N/A

Can someone help me?

Spoke to soon! Came in this morning to a frozen PC. DLs have been flying off peak @ about 200k, and its when things are flying that it has its problems.

My cpu this morning was about 34-36 degrees, I gave it a bit more room. Really need to turn it off and check for dust, but its fan based so am not expecting that to be a problem.

Gradually going to isolate causes. a) is it utorrent? b) is it my hard drives? c) is it my temperature? .... after this, I start to run out of ideas and will try a system rollback and then after that, reinstall.
Alecto
Grafter

Can someone help me?

That's not hot for a processor.

To test the heat theory, try running a processor intensive app such as a video format converter and it should crash very quickly.
WinAVI or similar always take 99% of my cpu.
Community Veteran

Can someone help me?

Was that temp from the BIOS screen after you rebooted, ie when nothing was running. If so, that is not a good indication of what temps you are getting when running apps - you need to download a temp sensor app like motherboard monitor, or your mobo install disk may have one already, and monitor things when it is running.

If the temps were from a running system I would be over the moon with that figure, which is very low!

Also check your memory with memtest86+.

For a really good intensive processing app, try downloading the UD agent and run that for a few hours (see grid link in sig). This is one of the most CPU intensive apps you can get and will easily raise your CPU temps to their upper limit for your configuration.
N/A

Can someone help me?

True, that was from a reboot & the BIOS. I DL'd a demo of AMD PowerDash (or something) but unfortunately that had nothing to do with heat. I'll get that motherboard monitor and have a gander.
I'm also wondering whether or not I have enough voltage now. I've got 350w PSU, but wondering if I need another 100w on top of that.
Community Veteran

Can someone help me?

Depends on your PC config (CPU, memory, disks, graphics, other PCI etc) and how good the 350W PSU actually is (named brand or OEM).