cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can see Network but ICS won't work?

N/A

Hey

one of my wifi cards just died, so until I can replace it at the end of the week I have plugged the pc it died on into my pc with some crossover.

My pc has a wireless connection to the router/dslmodem - and can browse the net through it. Despite both pcs being able to browse each other, the other computer can't get the internet. I persume there must be a way of having it know the wireless connection on mine is the source of the internet?

how do I go about setting this up?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

DO you have a software firewall installed. If so, make sure both the wireless connection and the connection to your other PSc IP addresses are in your trusted zone or similar setting.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free on your ICS PC, it does not support ICS, you have to use Pro or disable it.
N/A

no software firewall, just the hardware firewall on my router - even turning that off doesn't help though, im guessing I have to set the gateway and dns server manually to something on the plugged in lan settings but im not sure what, i have tried lots of combinations and none seem to work.

there is something though, if I set them to the wireless connections the second pcs seems to timeout trying to get a site up rather than instantly saying theres no connection - perhaps theres a router setting i have overlooked ?
The_10th
Grafter

You could try pinging your router which would rule out DNS issues (OSI layer 7) as IP operates at layer 3 ruling out software issues. I would guess that the new adaptor (RJ45 connection) isn't configured for ICS and needs bindings setup. When running ICS I understand that you had a wireless binding configured and as this has now changed so too must your bindings.

Try this link for help on setting it up.

Good luck

Cheesy
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Re: Can see Network but ICS won't work?

My pc has a wireless connection to the router/dslmodem - and can browse the net through it. Despite both pcs being able to browse each other, the other computer can't get the internet. I persume there must be a way of having it know the wireless connection on mine is the source of the internet?

You need to manually make some setting changes on the computer with the dead wifi card. From the Properties for the network card (found in Control Panel->Network and Dial up connections) - not on the WIFI connected computer, but the one you've cabled into it - select TCP/IP and click properties. Set "Default gateway" to the ip address of the router and set the DNS entries manually to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50.

HTH
N/A

Thanks pjemmanuel that fixed it!!! - didnt seem to work at first but then I noticed once those dns servers where in place the ICS option moved from the lan to the wlan network and then enabling it there worked - thanks again!!