cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer play zerohour online...

N/A

Seems shallow, bit it the only test I can do right now. I have just received the new router, speed touch 713, and with the new policy of plus, its now dynamic ip instead of static. So in short, I cant connect to a game with any more than 1 player. Nothing on my pc has changed except this router. Web, email no problem, just cnnecting to a game server. I had no problems with my old USB modem, and I am using the USB connection for this router as well.I know its me, cause I play with 3 other freinds, and we have always been able to play before. Help please if anyone has any ideas. thanks
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not sure I understand quite what you mean, but you're still on a static IP for your connection (I'll not post this in here but PM me and I can advise) - it should also show in your connection settings via the link on the left.

Are there any other connection issues? Do you have problems browsing/downloading at the same time? It does look like you might have a problem with intermittent connections on your line that might have caused your profile to drop to a very low speed.

If you suspect there is a fault, and it still occurs with the router plugged in to the master socket and all other items removed (phones, faxes, sky+ etc) then raise this to us via the checker at http://faults.plus.net and we'll escalate this for you.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Nothing on my pc has changed except this router.

It could well be the ports need forwarding on from the router to your PC, have a look at www.portforward.com for how to do this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
N/A

Using a router on a usb is bad news and a lot slower than using ethernet. Swap to ethernet its a lot less hassle and faster
Walrus
Grafter

Using a router on a usb is bad news and a lot slower than using ethernet. Swap to ethernet its a lot less hassle and faster

I beg to differ, USB 2.0 is 480Mbps (USB 1.1 is 12Mbps) whereas ethernet is generally 100Mbps or even 10Mbps. Rarely will you find gigabit ethernet configured. In either case the difference is largely irrelevant when both are probably attached to an 8Mbps internet connection.

Back to the OP, I'd go with opening the ports required as suggested by Chris Parr.
Denzil
Grafter

In practice no USB or ethernet device reaches the full speed. the difference with USB modems is that they depend on drivers, which can sometimes cause problems and slow them down a bit. It probably varies from make to make depending how well the driver has been written.

Ethernet devices run with standard protocols and generally always work. If the router has a spare network port it is worth trying that instead of the USB. The most you'll lose is the price of a cable.